Fry care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtemichuk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 7 fry (platies) in a breeding net and there's a lot of waste building up at the bottom, is there any way to clean it out without transferring all the fry back and forth? It's too small for my siphon to work properly in. Also, how big should the fry grow before being released back in the tank? I'm trying to compare the fry size with the platies mouths but it's really a toss up haha thanks

I used a small pipette I had from some medication to suck up the mess little by little. Can't suggest where you will get one mind!? Also about half an inch long should be fine, they may still be chased, and it also depends on how aggressive/active your platys can get!?

Oo that's a good idea, I bet even one of those meat baster things would work!
I have one fry that's about that size, the rest are all still too tiny so maybe I'll try releasing him after feeding today. I just assume they'll grow faster once released in the big tank, but maybe I'm wrong?

Yeh a baster will do good.

Feed them a high protein diet like a live food or tubifex and they will grow fast enough. Usually around a month old they should be fine as long as you don't have other species in your tank!? Obviously the larger they are the better chance they have.

Another good tip with the net breeders is to dip them every day, by this I mean submerge the net without letting the fry out (or platys in!). This ensures that the surface water doesn't stagnate too much and the water is fresh inside the net, it isn't that big a problem in the net breeders, more so the plastic boxes, but I noticed this kept the fry alive when I netted them.

I just fed mine powdered flake food. I also couldn't find a way to clean the net without taking the fry out for a few minutes while I rinsed it out.
FRY SHOULD BE BIG ENOUGH TO ABSOLUTELY NOT FIT IN ADULTS MOUTHS! I had about 10 platy fry in a net and was sick of looking at the net so I let the fry out. I THOUGHT they were big enough to not be swallowed or eaten whole. And they were. But they still fit about half way in the adults mouths and the adults TRIED to eat them. None of them were actually eaten I don't think but they were so stressed from being chased and nipped at and almost being meals that most of them died. I only had 3 or 4 survive. Just thought I'd share my experience.

I just let nature take its course with livebearers because they reproduce so fast the fry will be never ending let the strong survive and you won't be over run just offer lots of hiding spaces fake or live plants

Back
Top Bottom