fry found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I never even thought of the possibility of my fish spawning but about 3 weeks ago I noticed little orange dots in the tank that moved. Turned out the Platy we thought was fat was pregnant. Of course, being a livebearer all of a sudden there are fry in the tank and being a community tank survival of the fittest took hold as the tetras made short work of most of the babies. That's nature so that's okay. Even my 6 yr old found it fascinating that this how it really is outside the tank. I thought that just one of them had survived because it was all I ever saw hiding in the plants. Lo and behold we saw three of them the other day. I guess I'm going to have to separate mom and dad for the moment and hope that my LFS takes some off my hands in future spawnings. But here's a pic of one of the little guys that is getting bold now that he's too big to be a meal.

Attachments

• baby_platy_849.jpg
    baby_platy_849.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 48
Congratulations. I'm always finding fry in my tank, and I have no idea where they come from half the time.

I was having a good time with it until I started to think about the stress on the bioload. MTS may be closer than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom