Fry! ...fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nirbhao

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have fry! I have five female guppies, so I figured they were guppies. However, they don't look (to me) like guppy fry.

1482377789701.jpg
1482377801323.jpg

Our previous guppy fry have looked like eyeballs on stomachs, and they would either hang out in plants or at the surface pretending to be bubbles. These guys are all tail, and they are all staying near the sand and at the edges.

Are they guppies or something else?

I was going to say if they really don't match up to guppy try to separate so you can find out. Even if other fish don't eat him the filter might!
Congrtas on making your fish happy!:dance:(y)

These fry do look like Guppies however, your previous fry may not have been. H Rasboras spawn on the underside of leaves and when the eggs hatch, the fry are actually more stomach ( actually it's their yolk sac) than anything else and so they will stay near where they hatched until they absorb their yolk and then start to swim. Did any of your previous eyeball and stomach fry survive and grow into guppies? If not, this may be an answer to why.

These fry do look like Guppies however, your previous fry may not have been. H Rasboras spawn on the underside of leaves and when the eggs hatch, the fry are actually more stomach ( actually it's their yolk sac) than anything else and so they will stay near where they hatched until they absorb their yolk and then start to swim. Did any of your previous eyeball and stomach fry survive and grow into guppies? If not, this may be an answer to why.
I have traded 15 females and 4 males, and I still have 1 female and 2 males. There is currently a grand total of 5 females and 2 males right now, although that will have to change. One of the males is being bullied, and, as of yesterday, he's missing some tail.

The LFS gives me a dollar store credit for the fry once they are a saleable size.

It could just be that the female who had the previous two broods had a little bit different makeup than whoever had these guys.

Edit: there is also a week old brood of 11 guppies.

Last edited:
Likely. How long have you had them? I ask because if you have owned them less than 90 days some other livebearer could have tapped your female.

Likely. How long have you had them? I ask because if you have owned them less than 90 days some other livebearer could have tapped your female.
Tapped. ?

Three of the new females have been with us for a couple of weeks.

They are starting to color up a bit with a red spot near the ventral fins and along the belly. Neat to watch.

What sort of colours do you get in the guppies? I used to really like them (still could), but lately I like schools of fish to be all one colour. We do see some nice ones at forum auctions every so often (black Moscow and snakeskin I think).

What sort of colours do you get in the guppies? I used to really like them (still could), but lately I like schools of fish to be all one colour. We do see some nice ones at forum auctions every so often (black Moscow and snakeskin I think).
Our gold female, Sunny, had black offspring with red that developed later- with one blue and gold male. The couple-week old fry are white. These micro fry are belly and eyeball color, but they're developing some red near their ventral fins.

I don't know whose the fry born earlier this month are. The fry born today are Sunny's.

I'm a little overwhelmed. Having no fry since August and then suddenly three broods in as many weeks... Whew!

Our gold female, Sunny, had black offspring with red that developed later- with one blue and gold male. The couple-week old fry are white. These micro fry are belly and eyeball color, but they're developing some red near their ventral fins.

I don't know whose the fry born earlier this month are. The fry born today are Sunny's.

I'm a little overwhelmed. Having no fry since August and then suddenly three broods in as many weeks... Whew!

Busy times! Will be interesting to see what colours develop.

Guppies: They're their own population crisis. :ROFLMAO:
I really could handle getting rid of them, but Sunny is the absolute favorite. Having her with one other female was when she held the fry for months, and now she has dropped since being with more guppies, so I feel like she needs the community. But, jeez. Maybe I should reduce to four- one male and three females.

Back
Top Bottom