Fry guppys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have got 2 fry's in a breeding box and they where born on New Year's Day and they are only an inc long and was wondering how long I will have to wait to let them out, my gf is saying they will still get eaton by the other fish.

I have got 2 fry's in a breeding box and they where born on New Year's Day and they are only an inc long and was wondering how long I will have to wait to let them out, my gf is saying they will still get eaton by the other fish.
Hi Stu, what fry and other fish do you have???

If it's only guppies in the tank, the fry should be fine. I've got a guppy fry a lot smaller than that in a tank with platies and they ignore it.

Hi, I have 5 tetra's 2 mollies 2 platys, 1 female guppy and 1 neon dwarf gourami
The general rule is, if they are small enough to fit in other fishes mouths, then they'll be eaten. The tetra's and gourami's will probably chase them, when introduced but if they are big enough, they'll be fine. It's a tricky one to call. Have you got any pic's of the fry??

I guessed that would be the case but just not very at judging if they r the right size or not lol

image-1777872696.jpg

I no it's different for everyone but how long is it normally? Does it take about 3 months?
Imo, it really depends on a few factors, how big the parents are, feeding habits, food-amounts and type, temp of water. I currently have 60 guppy fry. They were all born within 3 days of each other, from 2 mothers. One mother is pretty big and the other is small. The big females fry are a lot bigger than the smaller mothers fry. I feed them both the same, they're in their own tank. It might be worth looking into a small tank for them, if you plan on actively breeding them. A small 20-30ltr tank would be ideal for them until you sale/trade them. I have mine in a 60ltr until they're big enough to trade to my lfs.....

I always say they should be twice as big and the biggest mouth in ur tank... If ur still scare don't do it cuz ur gt feeling is usually right... Better to be safe then sorry

Back
Top Bottom