Fry in Breeding Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I my guppy had baby fry today I found 5 and would like to raise them in a breeder box but I was wondering if the bright light would cook them?

Should I remove the light from that half of the tank?

IMO and speaking from experience the fry will do a whole lot better if they have free roam of the tank, keeping them in a breeder restricts their activity and they won't grow as well, what size is your tank and what are the stock/things in the tank?

If you can , splurge on a nursery tank, hey are great for Somone who has a bunch of fry and don't want to stick all of them in a breeders box. Usually a 10 gallon wih a sponge filter is good. Make sure to have something to keep the cycle. I keep mystery snails so when I have 2 less than 1 inch fry from my recent batch alone in the nursery they won't keep the cycle up, the snails do ;) ( sorry for rambling)

It is a ten gallon with 12 adult guppies, my female gave birth yesterday while I was at work and the little piggies ate the whole batch of babies, except for the 4 I found and saved.

Other than that the only things in the tank are snails and cheeries

I do have an empty 20 G with no filter or lights.

I really didn't want to spend more money as I already have 5 tanks running and my bf will kill me if I set up another one lol

My ten gallon is planted pretty good so there maybe more fry free swimming, odds are though they will get eaten.

I do have a good breeder box though it has a pump hooked up to it so the water is aerated...

I'm not saying its not been done, but the fifty grow faster in there own tank. Good luck with the babies!!! ( check the gravel if you have gravel in there)

I'm going too keep the four in the breeder net for a couple if weeks and see how they do.

I don't have gravel, I have sand...so no refuge for them under there

Niki said:
I really didn't want to spend more money as I already have 5 tanks running and my bf will kill me if I set up another one lol

Lol I know how that goes, my husband says that if I get anymore tanks its going to look like a pet store in my house. It wouldn't hurt to try the box and see what works best. I have a pregnant guppy that doesn't seem to have a problem being in a breeder but I also have a few that seems to get too stressed being in the box.

butterfly_koi said:
Lol I know how that goes, my husband says that if I get anymore tanks its going to look like a pet store in my house. It wouldn't hurt to try the box and see what works best. I have a pregnant guppy that doesn't seem to have a problem being in a breeder but I also have a few that seems to get too stressed being in the box.

Yea we are getting there too! I'm at. My lucky number lol I'm not aloud to set up anymore tanks and I'm not aloud to change the stock in my tanks or take one down lol I have reached equilibrium....

And I don't put my females in the box to birth, I catch the fry I see so no stress on the mommas...the four I have in the box are doing great...I have a dropper from a test kit I use to get uneaten food, seems to work well no fry get sucked up :)

Niki said:
Yea we are getting there too! I'm at. My lucky number lol I'm not aloud to set up anymore tanks and I'm not aloud to change the stock in my tanks or take one down lol I have reached equilibrium....

And I don't put my females in the box to birth, I catch the fry I see so no stress on the mommas...the four I have in the box are doing great...I have a dropper from a test kit I use to get uneaten food, seems to work well no fry get sucked up :)

Lol I was just using that as an example stating that if it doesn't seem to stress them out and they are not over crowded it should work out just fine, I have to keep an eye on my fry if they are in the box because my balloon Mollies have figured out a way to suck the fry out of the bottom holes in the box.

Back
Top Bottom