Fry in water change bucket!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orlon11

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a week ago i did a water change and also removed a large amount of green hair algae that was growing everywhere. Out of laziness, I just left the bucket in the corner. Now I was just about to empty it out but I saw at lest 2 or 3 tiny fry swimming around!

I think they must be Celestial Pearl Danio, since that's the only fish in the tank with both sexes, aside from the loaches.

It's a heavily planted 20 gallon long, inhabitants:

5-6 kuhli loaches
5 CPD
7 threadfin rainbows
1 Ancistrus
countless cherry shrimp

Should I risk fishing them out and putting them bck in the tank with the other fish, or are they sure to get eaten? Or should I leave them in the bucket? I don't have a spare tank....

I think they must be eating microfood from among the masses of hair algae. What else can I feed them? I won't be able to go to the store until tomorrow.

Help me save these little guys!

If they have survived this long I would just leave them and watch them daily till they get a little bigger . You could put them in a container of at least a gallon . The smaller the volume of water the easier to take care of .They are probably eating stuff on the algae like you said . I would change out some of the water daily . You can crush flake food up to powder and feed that as well . When big enough remember to match the temp of whatever they are in to the tank you are going to put them in . Good luck and have fun with it...lol

Throw an air stone in there and let nature roll... maybe add more algae as you can collect it. Pretty cool

I've set them up in a plastic box with an air stone and some extra java moss. I tried feeding tiny amounts of powdered fish food, but I'm not sure if they went for it. But they must be eating something if they've lived this long!

They may not eat the fish food till they get a little bigger . Like you said they have been eating something...lol There are microscopic things we can't see that they eat . I know when my Plays birth I never know it till one day I see a fry about a quarter inch long so they have been alive for a while . I don't do anything special for them and let nature take care of it . I figure the strongest , smartest will survive . If I didn't go this route I would have a 100 tanks of Platys....lol

Frozen baby brine shrimp would be the next best thing. Theyll def pick bugs off the moss in the meantime.

i raised danios for about 3 years. I discovered my first batch just like you, in my old water change bucket! I lost my first batches due to not knowing what to feed them, despite trying everything. Eventually i crushed regular fish food in a plastic bag with a rolling pin and then smashed it to smithereens with a hammer (mostly for fun). I put a small pinch in a bowl of tank water and poured it into their small tank. They took to it immediately and i never lost batches again.

They should NOT be put back into the main tank until they are bigger than the other fishes mouths, they will get eaten. I once thought some were big enough to go back into the tank, then a few hours later i saw one of the adults swimming around with one of the babies half hanging out of it's mouth! i had to poke the fish with a stick to get it to cough it back up.

once danios start breeding they will do it about once a month, so you'll have lots more ;)

Back
Top Bottom