Fry past the 1 week stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
:D I'm really excited about this. I finally have fry that have been free swimming more than a week. I removed the female and let dad do all the work. I think the fact that she was laying eggs so often caused her to eat the previous batch.

I'm supplementing their diet with a mixture of spirulina and egg yolk. I change 10% of the water 3 times a day. Hopefully I'm on to something.

wow it looks like a full grown adult (kidding) The dad looks like he is doing a great job of teaching them to swim..

Best of luck Brian!

Man, it's too bad you got stuck with that discus. I know i'd be really ticked off if something like that happened to me.

Congrats Brian!!!

Keep up the good work even if it is hard, your fishies will love ya for it..lol.
Nice looking fish btw... :wink:

:D Thanks for all the well wishes. Next post will be in another week when I seperate dad from his offspring. Mom was a red turq, and you can see dad is a blue diamond. I'm so curious about what this mix will develope into.

:D I couldn't resist putting another pic up. Look how much size they've gained in less than 1 week.

WOW........I want one LOL.

Keep up the great work. We're pulling for ya.

that is amazing... I'm soooooo jealous!!! I've been thinking about finding a type of fish to breed, but I don't know if I have enough time/space. Maybe later in life :D Can't wait to read your next post. Oh, and that pic is so cool!

Looks like 6. Man, if you could sell them to the lfs if you don't decide to keep them that would be some awesome $$$$. Keep the pics coming...those are awesome. That probably could have won the photo contest. BTW, how long do the fry hang around the dad like that for?

:oops: Thanks. There are 7 fry in the tank today (one was on the other side when I took the pic). I'm guessing there were 50 free swimming, and 9 made it past one week.

This is the furthest I've gotten discus fry to survive. I'm still learning and there's lots to know. The fry will stay with dad for one more week, than he goes back into the community tank.

I have 3 more pairs set up to spawn. Two of them have gotten spawns to the wiggler stage. I've a pair of red diamond fry that should hatch tonight. I've got my fingers crossed. My snow white butterflies have yet to do anything but flirt :roll: Of course, those are the ones I want to spawn the most.

Back
Top Bottom