Fry survival?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel R

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have two 20 gallon tanks. One is a community which I put a bunch if female and male guppies. After the females were pregnant I separated them from the community tank in to a 20 gal bare bottom tank with 2 songs filters and some java moss and a hair grass. Will the fry survive? Will the mothers eat there fry?

Daniel R said:
So I have two 20 gallon tanks. One is a community which I put a bunch if female and male guppies. After the females were pregnant I separated them from the community tank in to a 20 gal bare bottom tank with 2 songs filters and some java moss and a hair grass. Will the fry survive? Will the mothers eat there fry?

The fry may survive but tankmates will eat them
Also what are you going to do with all the fry?

I believe the females are likely to eat the fry but of course depending on how many fry you end up with and how heavily planted the tank is, some will survive to be bigger than bite size.

What's a "song" filter?

As for whether they will survive, that depends upon your skill and habits as a fishkeeper. You need to keep their water clean, feed multiple times per day with appropriate fry food, maintain the cycle of the grow-out tank, etc.

Just put the females back in the community tank after they drop. If its planted well the fry will hide. I honestly haven't had a problem with my female guppies trying to eat their fry they do very well together. Now my Mollies and platies are a different story. I have had many a fry lost due to my Mollies eating them. Now that's not saying that the guppies won't eat their young, every fish is different. But if you provide enough hiding places for the fry they will have a better fighting chance :)

Back
Top Bottom