Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

fry survival in community tank

I just noticed a few emperor tetra fry in my 15 gallon community tank . Since I don't have another tank to put them in , what are their odds of survival ? What would I/how would I try & feed them ? The only fish that will eat them is my kribensis or maybe my cories . I have a big wad of java moss that they are hiding in . This was unexpected , & was totally unprepared for this . They are currently just over 1/2 cm long .

Old 08-21-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Baby brine shrimp. Your LFS may also have food for fry. For spot feeding, I use a small dropper. Put the food in a small cup with a little tank water. Then you can suck up a small amount of food with the dropper. This way you can control how much and you can put it right in front of them. I do that with my dwarf puffers to make sure everyone is getting enough. Good luck!

Kim

Old 08-22-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragonChild Send a message via Yahoo to DragonChild
You might want to try to purchase a 'floating breeder'...and scoop up the fry and put them in there. Then, they can be safe from anyone that wants to eat them, and you can make sure that they are fed.

Good luck, and congradulations!

"If you leap before you look, the game will be over before you have even begun to play" Shuten/Anubis

------------------------
40 gallon, freshwater, currently housing pleco, red tailed shark, 1 adult silver mickey mouse platy, 3 platy fry (unsure of colors right now), and 6 ghost shrimp.
Filter is an Aquaclear 200, azoo 6500 air pump, and Hagen heater.
DragonChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The java moss is an excellent thing to have in your tank: not only will it provide shelter for the little ones, it will also act as a food source (infusoria and microorganisms will collect on the leaves of the moss).
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the advice everyone .
Old 08-23-2004, 12:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

You also want to "fry-proof" your filter so there is no chance they get sucked up into it when they start swimming in the main part of your tank. Nylon socks are supposed to work well, a sponge would work too

many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, community tank, fry, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com