fry survival in community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canuckfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed a few emperor tetra fry in my 15 gallon community tank . Since I don't have another tank to put them in , what are their odds of survival ? What would I/how would I try & feed them ? The only fish that will eat them is my kribensis or maybe my cories . I have a big wad of java moss that they are hiding in . This was unexpected , & was totally unprepared for this . They are currently just over 1/2 cm long .

Baby brine shrimp. Your LFS may also have food for fry. For spot feeding, I use a small dropper. Put the food in a small cup with a little tank water. Then you can suck up a small amount of food with the dropper. This way you can control how much and you can put it right in front of them. I do that with my dwarf puffers to make sure everyone is getting enough. Good luck!

Kim

You might want to try to purchase a 'floating breeder'...and scoop up the fry and put them in there. Then, they can be safe from anyone that wants to eat them, and you can make sure that they are fed.

Good luck, and congradulations!

The java moss is an excellent thing to have in your tank: not only will it provide shelter for the little ones, it will also act as a food source (infusoria and microorganisms will collect on the leaves of the moss).

You also want to "fry-proof" your filter so there is no chance they get sucked up into it when they start swimming in the main part of your tank. Nylon socks are supposed to work well, a sponge would work too

Back
Top Bottom