Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Galaxy rasbora breeding

I currently have a school of 8 CPDs and I want to try to breed them. I will state this now. I don't believe anyone should own CPDs unless you are trying to propagate them. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I found online that the fish need to be removed after spawning because the males are highly predacious of the young. What parameters have people been successful with? I know they need a species breeding tank.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

Use an egg trap. I've used one and it works well. My friend Dennis did a writeup on it at his site.

DIY Egg Trap

I heard their natural habitat was endangered but then I also read that they were mistaken and there is a wider range for them than thought before, so idk. It does take some bit of skill/equipment to breed them out, I currently have a dozen or so in a tub outside and am trying the natural method. I did see a few fry a few weeks ago, but have not been in their tank for anything extensive since.
best of luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you! That will definitely be helpful. Did you have a species tank for them or does this eliminate the need for that? Currently they are in a 10 gallon planted with one sparkling gourami, 3 corydoras Habrosus and 3 kuhli loaches.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

it doesn't have to be a species tank if you use an egg trap, but you may or may not get them into breeding mood if they feel threatened by any particular tankmates. Mine did fine in a tank with shrimp, I did not try in any other tanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Good. Were your galaxys active because mine seem pretty hesitant and hide a lot. Granted this is their third or fourth day in the tank...
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pizentios
they are likely still getting used to the new surroundings. A few more days i bet they will be acting different.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predfan27 View Post
Ok. Good. Were your galaxys active because mine seem pretty hesitant and hide a lot. Granted this is their third or fourth day in the tank...
They are a timid fish by nature. I never had any luck getting them to act normal unless I kept them in a very well planted species tank.

Tags
breed, breeding, galaxy rasbora, rasbora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com