Galaxy Rasbora Journal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
These little guys are becoming threatened due to overcollection. I regret that I ordered 8 of the tiny things, but I did so with the intent of breeding them. They should arrive on Tuesday. $65 for th fish, plus $40 for the shipping. Ouch.

Tonight I set up an old 10g. There's not a lot of info on how they spawn. The PFK article says they are mop spawners, but the eggs do not adhere very well. To cover my bases, I added java moss and a layer of marbles to the bottom. In case they are leaf spawners, I put in an anubias in a pot, which I may replace later with a sword. I have stock lighting over the tank and a sponge filter.

Tomorrow I may pick up a 15-20g and set it up the same way.

The plan is to sex the rasboras and separate the males into the 10 and females into the 20g. Condition them separately, then introduce the males to the females. Watch for eggs. Move all adults back to the 10, then hatch and raise the fry in the 20g.

If I cannot spawn them within 6 months, I will offer them to someone else who wants to try.

Good luck, I hope they spawn for you. They are a gorgeous fish. A local aquarist near me just had some spawn.

It's great that you're going to try breeding 'em. If only we could get the people who don't intend to do so to send theirs to you. There must be thousands out there in groups of two or three....

Very best of luck; they really are little gems. (y)

This is a great idea. Great plan. Thats a little price when it comes to help save a species, and like plecoperson said "the very best of luck."

i am trying to spawn them as well. My gbrs started before they did though, so that is where my attention is now.

Back
Top Bottom