GBR Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my GBR just laid eggs. The male didn't come out to eat this morning so I looked for him and he is way down in the java moss in a little depression in the bogwood and it looks like eggs are down in there. Do males typically guard? He has been sitting in that hollow all day. If you're interested here's a picture of the male

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=11346&cat=500&ppuser=7773

I don't think any of the other fish really know they're their, their pretty well hidden. I wouldn'mind trying to snag a couple of the fry if they hatch, assuming they make it that far and that I can get them soon enough after they hatch. Does anyone know how long they typically take to hatch? I think they were laid yesterday.

Thanks!

Yep, a pit is a good sign that spawning has taken place. The male will indeed guard the eggs, as well as provide fanning. Can you see the eggs clearly? Do they appear opague or beige in color?

I can only see them at an angle through the glass, there seem to be quite a few. The java moss covers them from the top and the side and the front. They look beigeish to me not tan, not quite white. The male is staying right by them.

It'll take 3 to 4 days for them to become wigglers and around the 11h day the'll be free swimming.

If they make it that long. I've noticed a tren with GBR's that they will eat them on or around the 3rd day. If this is there frist spawn . I'd give them til 04-03-06 before he eats them.

11 days? my last batch where free swimming in 6. I think it depends on water temp huh? warmer temps decrease hatch time and free swimming time?

Also, opaque is a good thing, grats :) and that, petunia, is a beautiful ram you have! I love the tail end of his dorsal finnage.

mine had eggs today, but I dont have any way to get them outta the tank :(

re to post

:D congrates at 82 deg 24 hrs wrigglers then 72 hrs freeswimming have raised 17+ batches of rams got it down to an art LOL

Curtis

Attachments

• follow_me_954.jpg
    follow_me_954.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom