GBR eggs help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone it's been awhile since I've been active on here due to some difficult happenings in my life. But I'm back and have some questions for you :) So I just got a gbr to go with my female a week ago. I hadn't had any success with breeding or pairing before and had to re home the other each time. It has been months since I've had more than one gbr. I picked one up not planning on breeding and put him in with her and wallah! Today couldn't find him them spotted him hovering over eggs! They are first time parents so I'm wondering what the chance of survival is and what I should do? I would love them to make it, I'm very excited to see that surprise this morning! They are in with some female guppies, Pygmy cory and ottos. The female is chasing them away and he seems to be the one watching and hovering over them. If he leaves she seems to send him back. I've only seen her watch them for a min then she goes back to making him do it and guarding the tank.

They will probably eat them the first few times :) I have 5 pair and I remove the eggs now and hatch them because they will just be eaten if left with their parents. I have read on here that a few people actually end up with fry after leaving them with the parents. It's all up to the fish :) but don't be surprised if they are gone tomorrow!

They will probably eat them the first few times :) I have 5 pair and I remove the eggs now and hatch them because they will just be eaten if left with their parents. I have read on here that a few people actually end up with fry after leaving them with the parents. It's all up to the fish :) but don't be surprised if they are gone tomorrow!

I read that they might eat them so I was prepared for them not to be there this morning but to my surprise they made it through the night! :) parents still gaurding them and daddy is hovering over. Is that a good sign? I'm hoping they will be ok and I'll get lucky.

You might, but I doubt it. I've talked to alot of people and most are on their 4th or 5th time with eggs and they are still getting eaten! GBRs are crazy egg eaters. One person says his GBRs leave the eggs alone but immediately eat them when they hatch lol every time. You might be one of the few lucky ones though! I'll never get rid of my rams, even though they annoy the crap out of me with their parenting skills!

Thanks for the info and the great article :) but as expected no eggs this morning oh well next times maybe.

So an update on my Ram pair. They have laid four times since the first time and watch them for about 2 days then I think the female keeps eating them.

You can remove them and hatch them yourself if you don't want to wait on the pairs parenting skills to arrive. :) I've done it, I just got tired of seeing them eaten!

I just found about 30 eggs in various places around my tank, mostly on the glass and a bit on the plants. I've been trying to watch for a few hours but haven't seen anyone actually lay them. I THINK its my Gold Ram but I only have 1 Ram. She's acting very nervous and I saw her carry some eggs in her mouth for a bit. The Cory cats have been going nuts today too. It's unusual.
So I'm wondering... Would a female ram lay eggs without a male around? Or could she possibly be trying to breed with one of my Apistos?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390000894.429380.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390000954.329264.jpg

Do they eventually pick the parenting skills up? I don't mind waiting if they do.

Oh the eggs look like Cory eggs they scatter them around like that and stick them to things. Mine looked the same when my panda corys laid eggs. I ended up with one baby Cory making it :) it wouldn't be the Ram they lay them on a flat stone or dig a ditch to lay them in.

interesting. I've had a trio of cats for over 2 years and they've never laid eggs before. They were going bonkers all day, swimming vigorously together nonstop . I'm curious to see what happens!

Thanks for your reply, good luck with your rams.

Yeah that's what they do before they lay. Mine were swimming up and down the glass together like nuts haha.

I think those are cory eggs and your ram is confused and thinka they are hers.
Cories are egg scatterers when they spawn so they dont guard them or anything.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom