GBR laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matts Tanks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My German blue ram pair has laid eggs in a 20 gallon by themselves, is there anything I need to do?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448155906.378146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, if they're on something removable, get the eggs out! Do you have a separate tank for either the parents or the eggs?

Yes I could move the parents if needed to my 55 but I think I will wait to see them eating the eggs or fry

Its pretty much guaranteed they'll eat the eggs or wigglers, they're horrendous parents.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes I could move the parents if needed to my 55 but I think I will wait to see them eating the eggs or fry

By the time you catch them eating the eggs or fry it may be too late. I would commit to one method or the other.

Yes the male is guarding them and they are a whitish clear color

Yes the male is guarding them and they are a whitish clear color

Sounds fertilized to me, but it could take more time to find out. That's what mine looked like for my most recent spawn (which is currently about to become free-swimming)

Thanks, yeah I'm excited!! I'll keep you posted

95% of the eggs have turned a black is color. Is this bad? Or is this supposed to happen?

Black? Like, completely black? Or just splotches? Sounds to me like the eggs are developing. It's been close to 2 days so you should have wigglers something today.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup those are the eyes developing. You should have wigglers later today.

Sweet, I'll let you know when they hatch

No I don't, i have frozen blood worms and dried blood worms, and flak food but that's it. So not sure if I can feed them any of that

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448296839.335239.jpghere is what the eggs look like now!!

If you want to continue raising them you'll need stuff like microworms, baby brine shrimp and hikari first bites. No shame in just letting nature take its course though; a few may still survive off of biofilm in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom