Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

GBR nesting site

my german blues seem to have paired off, begining yesterday, the male and female were scouting around the tank and seem to have picked off a spot int he front right of the tank, and last night dug a little 3-4 inch depression, im assuming this is a "nest", just wanting to make sure, if so how long until they lay eggs? ill try and get some pics up that i took of it soon

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

GBR nesting/breeding site

My GBR began a strange behavior yesterday, the male an female looked inseparable, and were rummaging around the tank, picking at little bits and getting right down in the sand and "shimming" and digging a little depression in the front right corner. Im pretty sure they are showing breeding behavior but ive never breed them before so looking for a confirmation. If so how long until they lay the eggs, and how long will i have to get them out of there as there are plecs int he tank and angle fish that would chomp down on them soon enough, im the hopefully near future id like to set up a GBR only tank, but for now its not possible but will try to grow the eggs(if any) in a 12 g a have.

male digging

female guarding

Old 06-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

~Moved to the cichlid forum~
They may or may not lay eggs this time around. If eggs were laid, you should see them or at least the pair guarding the area. With young fish parents, I let nature take its course. The parents need to learn how to do it properly and they will loose many spawns. Personally, I would not try to raise the eggs myself, as the fish are far better equipped to handle the duties of egg raising, they just need time to figure it out. In a community tank it may be more difficult to get any survivors, but once you have a GBR only tank, then your luck and theirs will improve.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Well, if they have already dug a hole, then it will probably be anytime now. Mine clear the area out right before she lays her eggs.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
~Moved to the cichlid forum~
They may or may not lay eggs this time around..
is that becuse it a first time thing, when do they usually get it right, around the 3rd time around, also how often till they go and try agian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menagerie
With young fish parents, I let nature take its course. The parents need to learn how to do it properly and they will loose many spawns. Personally, I would not try to raise the eggs myself, as the fish are far better equipped to handle the duties of egg raising, they just need time to figure it out. In a community tank it may be more difficult to get any survivors, but once you have a GBR only tank, then your luck and theirs will improve.
the problem is that its in a 35g with many other fish that would love to chomp them down, if they did lay eggs they were eaten, or else they didnt lay, they did all this at night and i went to sleep, in the morning they abandonded the nest, still sticking with eachother all the time, but no more "bredding behavour", i look forward to them trying agian,
Old 06-22-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, two threads merged and here we are in Breeding! Now for some breeding advice
Quote:
is that becuse it a first time thing, when do they usually get it right, around the 3rd time around, also how often till they go and try agian?
Sometimes the eggs are eaten as soon as they are laid, sometimes the parents do it and sometimes by tank mates. They will try again--timing depends on them and the environment. Due to the heavy biological strain on the female, increasing the protein in the food is a good idea--i.e. frozen blood worms once a week. Females will wear out faster than males during their mating lives--it's natural, but you can help the female by giving quality food.

Quote:
the problem is that its in a 35g with many other fish that would love to chomp them down, if they did lay eggs they were eaten, or else they didnt lay, they did all this at night and i went to sleep, in the morning they abandonded the nest
Problem or learning curve depending on how you look at it Stepping away from the fish for a moment, you need to ask yourself if you are ready to care for the fry, which is a long term commitment of a separate tank and special food (certainly doable!). Since I don't keep fish to breed them right now, I am bias towards nature's way of doing things. My fish do breed, but I do not remove them from the tank. I love watching the fry and when the parents get it right, 1-5 survive and I have new little fish (and sometimes they make it to adulthood) For my husband and me, fish keeping is a life long experience. One day after my little one is born and possibly after she goes to college, we will have a dedicated fish room and the time to set up individual breeding tanks. In the meantime, I notice where the fry show up, which substrate is preferred, etc.

Quote:
sticking with eachother all the time, but no more "bredding behavour", i look forward to them trying agian
That is great behavior which will be repeated--just a surprise as to when.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine layed eggs on their first go around. Just remember with GBR eggs, they are very, very small. I didn't quite see them at first, but then I saw them. Depending on your substrate, you might have to really look close to see them.

As for the shimmering, was she just moving dirt or did it look like she was laying eggs? Mine kind of shimmys when she lays the eggs, making several passes. You will know when she's laying the eggs, as she will make a couple passes, then the male will go over them and fertalize them.

I also noticed that once they stake a spawning area, they will keep using the same spot every time. Mine's getting ready to spawn again, 3rd time, and it's in the exact same spot. But this time I put a small piece of smooth granite under the substrate with a little exposed, and they cleared it off. So if they lay more eggs here shortly on the granite, will make for easy egg retrieval.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

My Bolivians dug out a nice pit last week. Unfortunately, the pit was abandoned due to the overbearing intrussions of my sailfin pleco. I have to agree with my peers regarding the info they provided.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
My Bolivians dug out a nice pit last week. Unfortunately, the pit was abandoned due to the overbearing intrussions of my sailfin pleco. I have to agree with my peers regarding the info they provided.
My GBR's layed theirs despite the sailfin, lol. And when he got close, she nailed him every time, lol. But they made their little nest in the middle of the anacharis, which has been keping him away. He hasn't tried getting in there, at least not yet, lol. The BN's try though, but she chases them out.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks

Tags
gbr, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com