Gbr or gold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am in a pickle. I went to my one lfs almost 2 weeks ago and he got a shipment of gourgous German blue rams! Some of the males were even long finned! And then I turned around and saw the gold rams! Here's the thing though. Both rams had ich on them so he was treating with temp and salt. They were priced the same other then the long fins.

So here is my situation. Which would be better? Breeding German blue rams or the gold rams? Which ones Would you guys want? Also do you have any experience with them? Are they the same as far as raising the fry and everything?
Anything would be helpful thanks everyone!

Hobgob said:
I am in a pickle. I went to my one lfs almost 2 weeks ago and he got a shipment of gourgous German blue rams! Some of the males were even long finned! And then I turned around and saw the gold rams! Here's the thing though. Both rams had ich on them so he was treating with temp and salt. They were priced the same other then the long fins.

So here is my situation. Which would be better? Breeding German blue rams or the gold rams? Which ones Would you guys want? Also do you have any experience with them? Are they the same as far as raising the fry and everything?
Anything would be helpful thanks everyone!

German blues are really pretty but after I saw the golds in a friends tank I really want some. Photos of them do no justice for how great the pop of orange/red/pink face is in a tank of green plants.

Which do you see more readily available in your lfs? This is the first time I have ever seen gold rams before and they look so nice like you said! I really don't know what to do... I'm going in tomorrow though so I can get them for free and that way I know nobody will have had a chance to take any.

Hobgob said:
Which do you see more readily available in your lfs? This is the first time I have ever seen gold rams before and they look so nice like you said! I really don't know what to do... I'm going in tomorrow though so I can get them for free and that way I know nobody will have had a chance to take any.

Honestly I haven't seen any gold rams in my Lfs at all. Hoping to find some in the near future

I just swapped a pair of golden's back to my LFS for another set of GBR.

I'm with you about first seening them. When I saw them, Wow! I had to have a pair. I also had GBR in the tank with them. Then after a few days one thing was clear to me. Golden don't color shift like GBR do. Which is one of the things I love about GBR. If their mad they show it! Golden's don't. They are pretty but they just did seen to have the ram flare IMO.

So I'm thinking Gbr but it all depends. Right now I am siting here acclimating a pair of kribs fry to put into my rearing tank. The pair I am taking back apparently thought they should have more babies. Weird thing is the female didn't hide all that much with the eggs.

So I just got back and I got two German blues. The females is pretty tiny and we weren't sure so I was told if it turns out to be a male to bring him back and they will swap me. They look ok but need to colour up. I can't wait till they get adjusted!

So I just got back and I got two German blues. The females is pretty tiny and we weren't sure so I was told if it turns out to be a male to bring him back and they will swap me. They look ok but need to colour up. I can't wait till they get adjusted!

Gratz!!! One of the ones I swapped yesterday. Pair an spawned today. I was just hoping for
A pair. I posted pic in my build tread if you would like to see.

That's awesome thank you I am going to look at it!

What do they normally spawn on for you slate, rock, wood?

What do they normally spawn on for you slate, rock, wood?

Well this was first spawn for me personally. Having done a ton of research on it. they tend to chose a small flat stone. If the substrate is sand or a really small pebble. They have been know to make a shallow depression but your best shot is the stone.

phishfriend said:
Well this was first spawn for me personally. Having done a ton of research on it. they tend to chose a small flat stone. If the substrate is sand or a really small pebble. They have been know to make a shallow depression but your best shot is the stone.

I put in rock slate, have sand as my substrate, I'm looking for some piece of tile and a good chunk of dw to set in there. That way they have lots of options.

Back
Top Bottom