Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

GBR paired off?

Anyone know the signs of when GBR pair off? My mail is following the female around everywhere. They occasionally stop next to each other and flare there find and do this weird little dance type thing. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Oops I ment to say male... Lol :b

Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Before mine spawned the first time it was like they were yo-yo'ing around the tank. One would swim out a few inches, stop, and the other would swim up next to it and give a gentle nudge, over and over again. They did this continuously for a day or so, then they started scooting along a leaf on my red ozelot sword one after the other, and the eggs were laid. Sadly, none survived but, breeding them was not my intention. I just like having fish that don't shy away when I approach the tank!!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #4

Mine just spawned. I knew something was up when it looked like they were dancing around. Watching them go thru all of this was pretty sweet and made me love the hobby even more. My eggs are at the wiggle stage now and should be free swimming within the next few days. I have some platty in the tank that I need to rehome but the parents are keeping them at bay and I think will keep the fry alive. Other than the platty I used to cycle my tank the pair if rams are the only thing in my 30 gallon. You think the fry will make it?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crazy, mine laid eggs yesterday also! As to if they will make it or not, I'm not sure. There are a number of threads that talk about things you can do to help them, it may be worth a topic search for you. You might want to record your water parameters as they wiggle and become free swimmers. If they do make it, you'll know what levels to try and recreate next time they lay!

Tags
air, gbr, pair, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com