GBR spawn...already!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
It appears a couple of my rams have paired off and are now spawning. They are hiding among my patch of dwarf sag in a little clearing, so I can't get any good pics of them...but they are both defiantly showing their breeding tubes, and they keep passing over the same spot in the sand. I wish I could get a better look at them

true, but I don't see much chance of that happening...too many bottom feeders. I'm just happy they are healthy enough to breed. good stuff

true, but I don't see much chance of that happening...too many bottom feeders. I'm just happy they are healthy enough to breed. good stuff

so are you planning on qt'ing the fry if they make it that far?

Well, I just got home and they aren't hanging around that spot anymore. So I guess I was either wrong, or the eggs got eaten already. Who knows. I wish I had more QT tanks, it actually looks like 2 pairs of my angels are getting ready to spawn, plus the possible GBR spawn....I guess there's just something in the water. haha.

Well, I just got home and they aren't hanging around that spot anymore. So I guess I was either wrong, or the eggs got eaten already. Who knows. I wish I had more QT tanks, it actually looks like 2 pairs of my angels are getting ready to spawn, plus the possible GBR spawn....I guess there's just something in the water. haha.

well if they did do their thing, i believe, they'll spawn again in 2 wks. im not possitive on that though. either way, good luck!

My GBR's would spawn every 7 days like clockwork. I'd go to work and knew there there'd be eggs when I got home. I was chaning the water frequenlty and I'm sure this sped up the time between spawns.

hmm, well I do weekly 50% water changes, and they did spawn several hours after the water change. I do believe they were all eaten though, and even if they weren't, I'm about to get inundated with angelfish fry from two separate pairs, so I wouldn't have room for them

It's very common to have fish spawn right after you get them. Mine spawned about 10 days after I got them and I know of guys that went out and purchased 2 pairs of discus (paid over $2000 total) and the next day both pairs have spawned for them. They easily paid for both pairs with all of the fry. I think a lot of it has to do with the differences in water composition and the amount of water (pressure). It must trigger something in the fish, especially the ones in the Amazon River that spawn after the river gets flooded (increased pressure from water).

sheesh, I can't imagine paying $500 per fish. Something that expensive and delicate...well I just know I'd kill it within the first day. lol

Think of it as an investment, if you know what you are doing and can produce fry from the pair then you can make the money back in a short amount of time. With a spawn size of 75 (on the low side) you could sell the fish for $20 each when they are 2.5 inches long (~3 months), and that's for something cheap like blue diamonds. That would be $1500 right there! Now take out the cost of the pair (~$500 for a breeding pair of BD's) and the cost of the food (highly doubt it'd be more than $200) and you make at least $800 on the first spawn. Now those are sold and you most likely have some that are two weeks younger that will be for sale in a short amount of time bringing you another $1000+. Now you may see why people can easily drop $1000 on a pair. Start off with the less expensive ones and work on the harder strains such as albinos that can bring in the big bucks. We're talking over $50 easily for some 2" fish!

haha, well maybe I'll tinker with that kind of thing when I have more resources (aka after college) let's just say I'm building breeding experience right now with my angels. hah

Think of it as an investment, if you know what you are doing and can produce fry from the pair then you can make the money back in a short amount of time. With a spawn size of 75 (on the low side) you could sell the fish for $20 each when they are 2.5 inches long (~3 months), and that's for something cheap like blue diamonds. That would be $1500 right there! Now take out the cost of the pair (~$500 for a breeding pair of BD's) and the cost of the food (highly doubt it'd be more than $200) and you make at least $800 on the first spawn. Now those are sold and you most likely have some that are two weeks younger that will be for sale in a short amount of time bringing you another $1000+. Now you may see why people can easily drop $1000 on a pair. Start off with the less expensive ones and work on the harder strains such as albinos that can bring in the big bucks. We're talking over $50 easily for some 2" fish!

Sounds like L046 Zebra Pleco's.

Yeah, breeding stock can be a couple of thousand for a trio of those and a thousand more if they are wilds. Generally the prices of the zebras @ 1" are around $300 at a mimimum. I guess if you know what you are doing with them then it's a very good investment as people buy these all the time at that price.

oh no, now even my old pair of angels is acting like they want to breed. None have actually done it yet, but all are showing STRONG signs that they'll be doing it soon. I've never had 2 broods at once, much less 3! haha

Back
Top Bottom