Gender of an angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bblacrosse said:
how do you tell the gender of an angelfish? I don't want them them to breed.

It is nearly impossible to tell as juvies. Once they are adults they can be told apart, but it is still tough.

Sexing Angels

how do you tell the gender of an angelfish? I don't want them them to breed.

I'm assuming you're talking about FW Angels because some SW angels can change sex thereby always guaranteeing that you'll have a pair.
The best way to prevent breeding of FW Angels is to have 1 fish or 2 or more males only. The sure fire way of telling is by the anal fin. A male's anal fin usually comes off the body at a 90 degree angel while a female's comes down between a 45 to 60 degree angel. You can start to see this difference at approx medium size. A trained eye can also see the direction of the sexual organs.
Having all females does not guarantee no spawns. My first "mated" pair of angelfish were 2 females who were raised in a tank with 10 other angels all from about a nickle body size. They went through all the motions of a breeding pair with the exception of having fertilized eggs. To date, I've not seen 2 males do this.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom