German blue rams laid eggs! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just noticed ram eggs in my tank they are protecting them and look "meaner" then usual. How long till they hatch? how many will there be? What do I feed them? Please answer these and give me any more tips or things i need to know?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394207270.889092.jpg here they are, they're hard to see but they are definitely eggs they are on the tree behind them.

you could probably google all the info you need on them.

However, theres some things that are important, are they isolated?
When hatched id feed super duper crushed food so its a dust

Depending on the temp of your tank, they can take about 48 hours to hatch. First they will hardly be noticeable as wigglers and the parents will move them around if you bother them too much by constantly looking in the tank or hover around the tank. When you feed the parents, they will feed the wigglers. They sift the food through their gills so that it's smaller for the fry. They will continue this once the fry are free swimming as well. You can also supplement with frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia or Hikari First Bites if you plan to move the fry into a grow out tank. Keep the parents well feed and any other fish that are in the tank. Do small, frequent water changes so that your water parameters stay in good condition.

As for how many there will be, that depends on many things. If they were all fertilized, if the parents eat them, which happens a lot with the first few spawns. If they get fungus. If the other fish in the tank eat them. My spawns usually yield about 50-60 that I can trade/sell.

Last edited:
Is this the first time your rams have spawned? Usually the first time parents will eat the eggs, but they should get the hang of parenthood fairly quickly and give you some wrigglers after a few tries. You should have a little bit of time to get prepared and read up on what's needed to raise them :)

Yes it's the first time (atleast with me) and I haven't seen them eat any but my cories have managed to get a few

Now the one ram that is protecting the eggs is bullying the other ram and the bullied one is looking discoloured? What's going on?

Well my catfish feasted on caviar last night... No babies for me :'(

Back
Top Bottom