German Blue Rams spawning! Video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superpleco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I recently did absurd amounts of research and ended up with setting up a 29 gallon freshwater tank mostly for a pair of blue rams. This is my first real adventure down the road of keeping fish and have had great success thus far. The other day I was even lucky enough to catch them spawning! So I shot a video of it, made an account here and slapped it on youtube for all to see! Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by just throwing the youtube link in, if so feel free to lock the post, I'll understand. But here it is! My rams spawning! German blue ram almost done spawning! - YouTube

Congrats on the spawn!!

I need to ask you what your water parameters are, more specifically temperature and ph.

Did you do anything in particular to trigger the spawn?

What types of foods were you feeding them before they spawned for you?

They are gorgeous fish btw! You should be proud!

Awesome congrats!!!!

Is there alot of flow in the tank?? The rams seem to be struggling to swim :eek:

My temperature was up around 85 as I am still treating for ich, been clear for over a week now but i'm a bit paranoid so even though all the salt had been removed i kept my temperature up, my ph sits around 6.4-6.6, we have VERY soft water so I have to keep a bag of crushed shells in my substrate to balance out my driftwood or else it plummets sub 6! when i noticed her belly was getting bigger i placed that flat stone in the corner behind their favorite plant. they were instantly interested in it, cleaning it and swimming around them and basically declaring it theirs After watching the 2 of them courting for about 2 days I slowly added fully dissolved salt solution into my filtration to evenly disperse it through the tank, it brought the tank to a slightly under half a teaspoon per gallon. When I first started my ich treatment is when they first spawned so after watching her fuss for 2 days i tried reproducing what I had did by bringing up the salt level like if i had just started a salt treatment for ich. that little bit of salt was all it took and within minutes she was sitting over a couple eggs, and a little while after that well over 200!!! both parents have been amazing! so far no infertile eggs, they have little dots starting to form, they take turns caring for the eggs and running out to find somethin to munch on. very fun watching them "tag out" of parenting duty as soon as the other comes around the plant. as for the flow in the tank. its actually quite low, especially where they put their eggs. i should note that i'm a habitual gravel vacuum wielder so my tank gets a fresh 5 gallons of warm dechlorinated water every day which my add to my rams love of love lol. they are fed on a variety of frozen hikari brand blood worms, brine shrimp, occasional aqueon flakes (just so i don't feel like a waste... i got them for free) and spectrum cichlid formula, along with the hikari wafers they just can't leave alone that i toss in for the plecos, they also snack on the zuchinni and peas the plecos get, so basically anything and everything that goes into the tank. they eat VERY well haha, i can barely lift the lid without them nearly jumping out to see what might be for a snack.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom