Getting serious about breeding BN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am going to move my BN to a non CO2 injected tank. I am moving my Sunset in there a long with some Java fern. I am aiming for a pH of 7.0-7.2, gh and kh at tap water levels, <1 degree. Have planty of caves for them and some PVC pipe.

Question one: Should the caves have a bottom or is the gravel ok?
#2: I know what to feed them. For green beans, is low salt that
important?
#3: Will a sponge filter be enough to keep the tank clean with regular water changes? I have a cheap Aquaview HOB on there right now.
#4: I know a 10 gallon is a little small but it will only be the two BN, is there anything to make them feel more at home?
#5: Will Snails eat the eggs?
#6: Is tanin a needed additive, if so, how dark can the tank be and not harm the fish? I don't care if it looks like strong tea as long as the BN breed. That said, what type of driftwood is best for BN? I have beach DW in with them now and they chew on it regularly, is that enough?
#7: Is there any effective way to encourage BGA or green spot or whatever their favorite algae is and not get BBA, string or hair algae?

Anything else I need to know would be appreciated. TIA

You've asked some very good questions fish 4 all. Here's how I get this species to spawn..

1. pH seems to be an important factor. Anything below 7 inhibits spawning in my tanks. I keep some crushed coral in the filter box. Although I've heard that BNs prefer black water, it's never worked for me. Therefore, I view tanins as unimportant.

2. This species is omnivorous. I feed not only Hikari algae wafers, but high protein flakes as well. A high protein diet is a must to raise the fry. I also keep some fresh broccoli stem in the tank at all times.

3. Bare bottom is best. These fish produce so much waste that it just makes it easier to keep their environment clean.

4. Sponge filters are really all you need. If you do use an HOB, make sure you have a quality sponge prefilter. Sponges should be rinsed daily in tank water.

5. My spawners prefer DW to a cave. DW with lots of nooks and crannies will be shosen as the spawning site. Another advantage here is you can see when the male takes up residence over the brood.

Good Luck

I have had luck with this sp. as well.
1. Yes pH does play an important factor. I'd say keep it anywhere from 7.2 to 8.2.
2. I do agree with the bare bottom as well. I have to keep them in this or else the fry become poluted and tend to die.
3. A sponge works for fry becuase it won't suck them up, but during breeding, I used corner or box filters.
4. For the caves, I used cone pots in which they bred wonderfully in. They prefered the angled end in the cave and would not breed in the square shaped caves I put in there.

Other than that, good luck!
PS.
Look into a chemical called Spawn Aid. It uses pH buffer and acid buffer as well as proper amounts of sodium and potasium that simblizes the end of the dry period.

I am sorry. I forgot to mention that it is best to set them up to spawn when you know that at least a medium to large sized rainstorm or even a snowstorm is on its way and is going to go over you. Do small waterchanges of about 5-10% until the storm hits. Then do a huge waterchange of up to 60%. That should greatly encourage them as well as any other fish in the aquarium, to breed. This simulates the beginning of the rainy season, which is when almost all species of fish breed. If that doesn't do it, try some daily waterchanges of 10-30% for up to 2 weeks. By then they should have bred.

I am sorry. I forgot to mention that it is best to set them up to spawn when you know that at least a medium to large sized rainstorm or even a snowstorm is on its way and is going to go over you. Do small waterchanges of about 5-10% until the storm hits. Then do a huge waterchange of up to 60%. That should greatly encourage them as well as any other fish in the aquarium, to breed. This simulates the beginning of the rainy season, which is when almost all species of fish breed. If that doesn't do it, try some daily waterchanges of 10-30% for up to 2 weeks. By then they should have bred.

Back
Top Bottom