Ghost Shrimp Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I saw that my female ghost shrimp has about 50 eggs on her swimmerets. They are a shimmery green and she hasn't been as active as usual. Since I'm a first time shrimp owner I have no idea how to tell if the eggs are fertilized, how long until they are free swimming, and if she will lay them or keep them on her swimmerets. I plan on raising the shrimp 'fry' in a 2 gallon tank.

Most likely, the eggs won't result in any shrimplets. Ghost shrimp need brackish water to successfully reproduce.

Most likely, the eggs won't result in any shrimplets. Ghost shrimp need brackish water to successfully reproduce.
Really? Didn't know that. From the few articles I read they said they need completely freshwater to breed in. Probably someone who had no idea what they were talking about.

I could be way off Mel... but I kept ghost shrimp for a long time without them ever breeding (while the RCS bred like rabbits...). I was under the impression that brackish water was a requirement. I know for sure that it is for other species of FW shrimp...

Alright just did some quick research... have found a lot of articles claiming freshwater, and a few claiming slightly brackish. The big determining factor seems to be predation... it also looks as if the eggs are fertilized, they turn clear...

Guess I'll just wait and see. Since its FW and she has already produced eggs maybe I'll just leave it that way, I spotted another female with green eggs. Maybe I'll experiment a little and put one in brackish and one in FW and see what happens.

I am sure someone here has done it before... you might get someone to chime in on their experience.

Hopefully, My only problem is I don't think I have a male, most of my GS are large because my Angels ate the small ones.

Mine laid in 29 brackish shared with a puffer. Immediately eaten by the other shrimp so never saw babies. I saw eggs on them a lot more in the brackish tank than freshwater. Eggs were always green. Sorry can't be more help.

depending on the species of ghost shrimp it could need fresh or brackish, but being in the states most of our ghost shrimp come from Florida and those are quite prolific under both conditions. The main reason you rarely hear of successful breeding in the aquarium is because they go through several larval stages before becoming a shrimplet and require microscopic foods to get there. If you were to put them into an established pond in late spring/early summer preferably without Koi or Goldfish, you would have more than you knew what to do with.

Gillie said:
depending on the species of ghost shrimp it could need fresh or brackish, but being in the states most of our ghost shrimp come from Florida and those are quite prolific under both conditions. The main reason you rarely hear of successful breeding in the aquarium is because they go through several larval stages before becoming a shrimplet and require microscopic foods to get there. If you were to put them into an established pond in late spring/early summer preferably without Koi or Goldfish, you would have more than you knew what to do with.

Like Fort said thanks for chimmig in and helping us out ;) I have a small 50 gallon plant pond with no fish, next time they berrie I'll put them in and see if I can get some shrimplets :D

Gillie said:
That sounds like heaven for any shrimp:D

Lol, I'll put them in it next time and see how it goes. Who knows, maybe by September I'll be over run by shrimp :)

Gillie said:

I believe you could put some pond water into the tank and get some daphnia going in there. They're microscopic animals that are good for babies.

I believe you could put some pond water into the tank and get some daphnia going in there. They're microscopic animals that are good for babies.

Daphnia are definitely not microscopic, but infusoria and green water are the things that larval Ghost shrimp would feed on.

Gillie said:
Daphnia are definitely not microscopic, but infusoria and green water are the things that larval Ghost shrimp would feed on.

Lol I didn't mean it literally I was exaggerating. Sorry

I too have a female ghostie that is finally carrying eggs. From what I have read, the best thing to do is remove the berried female to her own tank when the eggs go from a green to a clearish color with black specs (supposedly these are the eyes of the babies). Make sure the tank's temp is around the 70's, cycled, and preferably planted with plants from a mature aquarium. The reason many people think they need freshwater is because getting past the larval stage is fairly difficult if you haven't done research. If you do the things above, the larvae will turn into shrimplets in about 4-7 days. Then you can feed them like adults, just smaller pieces of course.

Back
Top Bottom