Ghost shrimp plus eggs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

millipede

Aquarium Advice Addict
Someone asked this on another forum I'm on.
Ghost Shrimp Carrying Eggs: ... I have one and i would like to know what all i need to do to help the babies make it and to make her feel comfortable. I did it before but it wound up losing ALLL the babies... I have her in a breeding net that goes on the side of the tank so i hope that will help her out but what do i need to feed the babies? Any other information you can give me i will greatly appreciate it... Thanks!
I mentioned this site, they tried to sign up and got this
Your IP address is on a DNS-based Blackhole List.
Registration attempt blocked

So they asked me to ask the question for them.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't exactly punt her in a breeding net, rather get a small seperate planted tank for the female. And is it sure that the eggs are fertilised?
I honestly don't have any experience myself with them, but I'd imagine you'll be needing very small foods. Maybe a culture of greenwater? Live Daphnia, or bbs?
Let us know how it goes,

good to see you millipede :)

I've bred them now and if the female is with eggs. Then the best thing to do is move her to a small tank. I moved mine to what they call a critter cage for hermit crabs and added a airstone for surface movement and added some jave moss for the fry to hide in once she releases them. You can even place her in a gal jar and just add the air stone. Either one works great for the shrimp.
Then once she releases them remove her as she will eat them. They will eat on bactria that forms on the jave moss til 2 weeks old then add LIve Brine shrimp. once a day. for the net 4 weeks. Now they are super slow growers to. She will need a 10g tank to raise them in for at least 6 months til they can be placed back in the main thank.

Here's a couple of pictures of some that are 10 days old.
ef41bb6d.jpg

ef41bb61.jpg

Another thing to remenber is that amonia in there tank will kill them so the java moss is also good for that as well. Clorraine is another no no with young shrimp. So tell her good luck and I have a few more hint or tips if needed.

hey thanks for the responses. This is what he said
Thanks for the information. I dont really have all that stuff so i might just have to let her go this go around. I read that it takes about 15 days for the eggs to hatch? True or False? She seems to have eggs missing each time i look at her. Might be my imagination or something. I want to get more shrimp and i would like to try breeding them again some other time so i will try to find all the stuff you mentioned to use. PLEASE share all the tips you can possibly share with me! I need them! Thanks!
in response to whether or not they are fertilized...

I bought 3 Ghost Shrimp and 2 were about 2 inches long and the 1 was about 1 inch long. Sound like i have males and females? Let me know
So, I'll ask. Do they lay eggs if they might not be fertilized? Just curious.
Thanks again for the response and any other info you might have.

Billsgate said:
good to see you millipede
thanks... yep, I'm still alive

From what I've heard the easiest FW shrimp to breed are red cherry shrimp. So maybe he/she can try them as well?

I honestly don't know how to sex them. I had ghost shrimp with eggs as well, and my lfs told me it is unlikely they are fertilized or would hatch since they are actually BW shrimp??? Don't know if that info is correct though.

Ghost shrimp don't need the male to fertlizes the eggs. Once the male leaves the female he leaves a deposit in the females egg area for the eggs to develope in. It will look like she's either losing eggs or they are disappearing. But she is lways moving them with water and her stomch musals. So one day it'll look like there's afew gone then the next day there al back.
As far as sexing them, that's a bit trickie it's not realy the size in lenght as it is the tail size. I understand that it around not long that is the disider in the sex. But don't hold me to that. I understand it's a simple way of looking and seeing whitch one's tail is bigger round. The bigger round the tail female smaller male. I've seen a differnts but never really trusted that.
I just know how to hatch them out and rasie them to adults better. LOL I see a prego female she's pulled and moved to a hatchery for the next 3 weeks til she drops the larva then she's removed. I've had great luck doing it this way for over a yr. So I stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom