Ghost shrimp with eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deenalove

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a few ghost shrimp, they are 2 inches about. I noticed one has eggs in her belly. Will she lay them and if so where and what should I do for them. I need all adivce on them I can get. Thank you :)

ve595g.jpg

there are many species sold as ghost shrimp. some need bw to hatch others can breed in fw. just keep a eye out after she is no longer holding anymore for very small shrimp.

Yeah I asked them if they were certain they were ghost shrimp, they said yes indeed. I know there is a kind that looks similar but has tiny claws, this one doesnt. I have Chinese algae eaters too so they would prob eat the baby shrimp when they are born. How easy is it to breed the shrimp?

Ghost shrimp breed like mad but keeping the shrimplettes alive is hard. Our females all let go at the same time, we had tons of shrimplettes floating around but couldn't keep them alive. They were in FW. I tried fry foods (Hikari first bites) powdered egg yolks, green water (infusoria) etc. All of them died.

The next time we saw the females carrying, we slowly mixed reef salt into the water to get it to BW (this was in a 5.5g holding tank) same thing, eggs hatched, shrimplettes swimming then all died.

Breeding is not the issue for sure, it's keeping the shrimplettes alive that remains the problem.

Back
Top Bottom