Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Golden Apple snail babies

Hi everyone

Our snail, who we had named Gary, laid a whole bunch of eggs (which quickly prompted a name change to Carrie....). These eggs have now hatched and I have hundreds of little apple snail babies my tank. I also discovered I have another type of snail in my tank - it's not a golden apple and I think it may have hitchhiked in on the live plants we put in the tank. I suspect it might be an assassin snail but can't be too sure as it's small (about the size of your pinky nail). What do I do about the snail babies? I don't want to get rid of them purposefully - if I left them in the tank to kind of fend for themselves is that ok? I would also like to give one to my neighbour but they have a little fishtank with 3 goldfish. It is heated etc but it's not a proper tropical tank.

So my questions are:
1) Can I leave the snail babies to just get on with things and see which ones make it to adulthood and grow to a reasonable size, or will it affect the dynamics of the tank when they're so small, as well as all the chemical levels, etc?
2) When they're big enough, will one survive in a fishtank with goldfish if it's heated but not up to 22C?
3) Will baby snails be meals for my 2 ghost shrimp, the hitchhiker snail or other fish?

Thanks!
Carmen.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, you can leave the babies in the tank without issue. It may trigger the adults to stop breeding.

If your hitch hiker is an assasin you will know it. I'd put the suspect in a jar of aquarium water and toss in a baby snail. If the baby shows up DOA, then get rid of the assasin.

As for the snails re-homing with goldfish, pencile eraser size will work.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com