golden apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys i was away for a few days and came home to a batch of eggs that were laid on my glass the eggs feel really dry and i pulled them off and put them closer to the water to try keep them moist do they look dead?

ForumRunner_20130909_164456.jpg

No they look healty. When you get thoses eggs, keep them in the original place. Snails put eggs where they know humidity will keep them moist.

Looks good to me! I had like 4-6 clutches laid when I was out of town for Labor Day and they all looked like that. they start looking almost moldy when ready to hatch, the clutch starts to turn white and it'll break apart really easily.

Since you already moved it, try putting it in some sort of small enclosed container with some holes for air over some water. Don't put it directly on or in, just near enough to the water that it'll stay humid but not wet and mist them like once every day or so and you'll be fine

any eggs that touch water will die... that is why apples lay them out of the water... good luck! im tryig to get mone to breed, but no luck so far...

any eggs that touch water will die... that is why apples lay them out of the water... good luck! im tryig to get mone to breed, but no luck so far...

This is true, but just wanted to make sure the OP knows that they only die if they stay underwater for too long and water lodges into the clutch. They can fall in for a couple seconds and be fine, and can also be misted if you feel like there isn't enough humidity in there.

Oh and oscarchick,
It takes my snails to be nearly ping pong ball sized to even consider breeding, and usually they are close to golf balls before they actually do along with the water level being atleast 4-6" below the top of the tank. I occasionally find y snails on the floor when they are ready to lay if the water level isn't low enough and they Ed up climbing out to find a better spot. I think it took about 6 months of me having them from ping pong ball sized that yet actually started breeding. So don't worry if it takes you a little while, as long as you have both sexes you'll be okay!

I have 3 adults and 3 juv, at least 1 adult is male, my golden... i have 1 ivory, 2 purple, and 3 golden... 2 of tge adults are over golfball and the golden is about ping pong size... but they are in a fry tank so i dont let the water get very low, and j dont overfeed...

I v had mine since like they were 5mm across and its taken me about 6 months to get eggs i have a breeding cage that has a bit where it stays out of the water i might try this

Back
Top Bottom