Goldfish. :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddybrat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't like them
Frankly. They get sick and get my snails sick. Their ammonia makes the water blurry.. I am going to return them to the pet store.. I am sorry for saying I wanted them to die..

Maybe if you researched more you wouldn't have this problem. Few questions:
1.) How large is the tank.
2.) Has it been cycled? In our FW getting started section we have a page on fishless cycling.
3.)Do you know anyone who can take in the fish?

This was not the fish's fault. I'd hate to say it but it was yours. Taking the time to plan things out will save more suffering on the fishes', yours and your wallet's part.

Please take those fish to a local fish store. They will probably give you credit, with it you may find fish suitable. (after you've done your research of course) But sadly, with an attitude like that, "wanting the fish to die" I wouldn't suggest even a guppy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree Dylan. Sorry to say that I take offense to that attitude. But goldies are my favorite. They are not the simple beginner fish that many people think they are. They need a big tank with large water changes and lots of water testing. Without the appropriate research and care, yes, they can be frustrating. And yes, call me weird, but I LOVE apple/mystery/ivory snails. But like goldies, they get large and are messy. They too require research, water changes and testing. As well as a large tank. If I could set up another large tank, I would love to have one with just snails.

Please, don't just wait for them to die! That is so cruel. Either care for them correctly or take them back to the store. Even if you don't receive credit you'll save their lives.

Other than my new GSP, my 4+ year old Black Moors have the best personalities of any fish IMO. If they're getting sick, that issue is on you since they're (any fish really) completely dependent on you to take proper care of them. Goldfish or guppies, if you can't take proper care of them, I'd suggest a stuffed teddy bear, they're really easy to care for and not too demanding.

I'd suggest you take them back to the LFS and don't worry about a store credit, because like you, Petco doesn't much care if their fish live or die either.

(((clapping))) Hear, hear Mr. Limpet. A teddy bear indeed!

Come on, Maddybrat! You should have known better than to come to a fish forum where people love their fish with that attitude that you have!

I waz thinking about getting some small tropical fish like my sisters. Her tank is much more successful health and happy wise. Her fish are more active.

that is because your tank is too small. Goldfish need at least 10, preferably 20 gal for first fish and 10 gal per each additional fish. Otherwise they will get sick, affect water quality and yes, then affect your snails. See if your lfs will take the goldies back and then get some smaller fish, once you're sure that your water quality is good.

I was overreacting a bit. Okay ALOT. I have everything working but they still get sick. It just makes me mad.

Actually, you don't have anything working for you since you have 3 goldfish in a 10g tank with the apple snails. All of those a pooping machines, and unless you're doing 50%+ PWC 3 times a day, it's only going to get worse.

Petco is open now, ask your mom to take you there and either get a 40g tank or take them all back, because just the apple snails alone are going to out grow that little tank in no time at all.

I had the water checked and they said it was good and I was thinking of just having snails so that they could breed.. and Someone told me that they need vitamins. Like tums??? thats what someone said that you could feed your snails tums.. anyone know if thats true?

I am going to return the fish. The water was checked before the fish and was good. After I have no fish and only snails should I clean it again or just let it purify itself.. also Can i feed my snails tums for vitamins? :angel:

It is better and more accurate if you have an API master test kit so that you can test the water yourself. Especially if your tank is cycling, you need to know what your water is doing so that you can correct it.

How long has your tank been set up? Did you cycle it first, or has it been set up long enough to cycle?

As far as food, snails eat zucchini, cucumbers, romaine, spinach, peas and sometimes sliced carrots. Haven't had much luck getting mine to eat fruit. Also, calcium containing veggies such as collards, kale and turnip greens are good. They also really enjoy algae wafers. It is amusing to watch them curl around the wafers.

Tums have too much sugar but you are on the right track. Supplemental calcium in the form of cuttlebone, liquid calcium and "people" calcium pills (without additives such as vitamin D) are good as well. Cuttlebone dissolves in the water which is absorbed by the snail's shells and I've been told that they eat it but I've never seen mine do that, and they absorb the liquid calicum too. They will actually eat the calcium pills but if they don't finish it, it could could your water, so be sure to clean the gravel afterwards.

As long as your water was healthy, you should only need to do a pwc. But you wont know that without a test kit. When a store says the water is "good", it doesn't really mean anything. You need the actual parameters.

Particularly if your tank is cycled/cycling you don't want/need to "purify" it. You'll lose whatever bacteria you might have starting to grow in there, especially in your filter. If the filter media is dirty, just rinse your it in tank water removed from the tank while doing your pwc.

I love apple snails. They may seem easier, but they actually require just as much care as fish. The bad thing about snails is you really can't tell if they "dont feel well" like you can with fish. By the time you CAN tell there is something wrong, it is usually too late. Just make sure that their diet is adequate and you stay on top of the water (testing and pwc's) and they should be fine.

Just don't let them fool ya. Sometimes they "get lazy" and will either float around for a while or just be on the bottom and not move. This is usually normal. When I first started keeping snails, I thought that one had died, so I threw him in the garbage. Then I went to the apple snail website and found that this was normal. So, hours later I dug the poor thing out of the trash, covered in coffee grounds and cigarette ashes, rinsed him off, put him back in the tank and he was fine. Had him for a few more years til he died of old age. And a key hint. When they do die, they smell! So if you think a snail is dead, give it a whiff before you put him in the trash like I did!

Back
Top Bottom