Goldfish Fry!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
At the pet shop I work at, we have fry! They must be goldfish as that's the only thing that's been in there. No aduls in now.

What do I do?

How do I clean/siphon/change water without sucking them up?

You can always put an old nylon stocking over the siphon intake. That should stop them from being sucked up. Or cut a piece of filter foam to the right size to fit over the intake tube.

Congrats on the fry!

YAY! Congrats! My molly just had fry yesterday 8O don't keep all of em! *hides from my 28 4 month year old mollies I was stupid enough to keep the whole litter*

I did but they're so cute I feel badddddd lol I just left them in the 10 gal with my female mollies and betta... they're gonners....

OFF TOPIC lol *kudos to zenka* ^^;

thanks guys :D

unfortunately, i was out of the shop for a few days and came back to find my boss has overfed them horribly and only a few survive.

i did a half water change, but couldn't use the stocking idea, as the solid muck at the bottom wouldn't siphon through it!

ok, so i've taken the remaining fry home as i figure they likely have a better chance here where i can have full control (i only work part time at the shop).

i'm feeding them "fry bites", which is a tiny little floating pellet/flake thing, but i'm not sure if even that is too big for their little mouths. they've obviously been eating something over the past week, but not sure if this is the best for them - what else can i feed them?

also, there's about 20 left, and they're in a small (15cm cube) unfiltered betta tank with a couple of small snails (the snails have been living in it for months, so it's to some degree established) - how often should i do a water change?

zenkatydid said:
ok, so i've taken the remaining fry home as i figure they likely have a better chance here where i can have full control (i only work part time at the shop).

i'm feeding them "fry bites", which is a tiny little floating pellet/flake thing, but i'm not sure if even that is too big for their little mouths. they've obviously been eating something over the past week, but not sure if this is the best for them - what else can i feed them?

also, there's about 20 left, and they're in a small (15cm cube) unfiltered betta tank with a couple of small snails (the snails have been living in it for months, so it's to some degree established) - how often should i do a water change?

hey you live in sydney !!!!
which shop do u work at ??

pawprint in mosman. it's not an aquarium shop, just a little local pet shop and dog grooming salon.

I feed my goldfish fry newly hatched brine shrimp. And I have heard of people using micro worms but they stink to produce. after the brine shrimp hatch you use a turkey baster and put them in the aquarium. They only live for a couple of hours though, but it teaches your goldfish to hunt for food.

Yeah brine shrimp is a good thing to feed them. Theres also something, I forget whats its called, but you put a piece of lettuce in a jar for a few days and it grows microorganisms that's good for fry.

Back
Top Bottom