Gonna be a momma for the first time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devilishturtles

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I aquired some convict cichlids (two of them, male and female) from a lady who left them for me at WM. So, with nothing to do with them...I bought them home to save them. In they went to the QT tank, and before I knew it, they were spawning.

5 days later, I've got myself about a hundred little eggs! I'm gonna be a momma! I've never had little un's before, besides livebearers. So, I'm psyched. :multi: :multi:

Here is a pic of the parents with the eggs.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• eggs_925.jpg
    eggs_925.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 124
Awww...baby convicts/prisoners! Congrats DT, I know you'll make a great Mom!

Let me know what your plans are...you can't possibly believe you can raise that brood all alone...can you? LOL

Congratulations! It is always exciting to see spawning behavior, and then to see fry, no matter how often you see it.

Six months down the road you will be posting a thread called: What Do I do With All These Babies? :wink:

Update!

I got little wiggling babies all over the place!

At first I thought mommy and daddy ate all the little ones.... :( For a whole day they seemed to dissapear. Come to find out, they just moved them. Now, they constantly keep moving the babies around the tank.

What's the deal with that? lol

I'll post pics as soon as I can get the parents to leave them in one spot!

Woot! :multi:

That's great, DT!!

They move them if they perceive a threat, and in a Q-tank who knows what that would be but it could be they are protecting the babies from you when you feed, or when you walk by the tank. As they get used to doing this (they will get used to it!) they will be less nervous and move the fry less. Looks like you have great parents there.

Congrats about the babies! I am really excited for you, I just started my tank but hopefully i can get some livebearers to breed. I dont know what is more exciting, knowing that you are gona have little ones or knowing that your fish are so happy/comfortable/relaxed that you got them to spawn. Either way, YAY! What do you plan to do with them?

What do you plan to do with them?

Good question. Heh. I am getting myself a larger tank soon (within a week or two) and I plan on keeping a few of the babies in this and use it as a grow out tank. I will probably end up selling most of them, as...to be honest, I really didn't know what I was doing when I bought them home. I knew I was planning on getting a larger tank soon, but I didn't know when. I saved the fish from being flushed...so I felt compelled to take them in the first place. I didn't know the slightest thing about cichlids either, and the fact that Convicts are such plentiful breeders was news to me. :roll:

Update however, the fry are now starting to leave their hole and swim around. It's been 6 days since they hatched. I will attempt feeding them tonight! Pics on the way hopefully! 8)

They move them if they perceive a threat, and in a Q-tank who knows what that would be but it could be they are protecting the babies from you when you feed, or when you walk by the tank.

I do probably stare at them too much. Hehe. They move them, on average, about 2-3 times a day however. Seems everytime I see them, they are moved the next time I see them.

Back
Top Bottom