Gonna give it another shot.... Pics 10/26/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, my pair in the 29G has layed eggs for the 2nd time now. Now that I have my 5.5G, after I get done with dinner and know that they are finished laying the eggs and fertalizing, I'll move them to the 5.5G. but til then, I'm going to prep the 5.5G, get the water in the tank, temp up to the 29G temp, and move the eggs over. Then I'll slowly add distilled water til I have approx. 50% distilled, as a slow acclimation, and then will add the blackwater suppliment and Methelene Blue. They happened to lay their eggs on the driftwood, so it will make it easy for retrieval. Wish me luck. :)

Got everything set up, and have some pics. Here they are......

5g1.jpg

5g2.jpg

5g3.jpg

5g4.jpg

5g5.jpg

5g6.jpg

5g7.jpg

5g8.jpg

I do have another question. Last night I set it all up, and the temp was around 77. This morning it was at 79 degrees. Then, when I got home from work, it was 73.9. I'm slowly bumping the temp up, as apparently the heater wasn't quite set. Will this drop possibly affect the eggs? Gonna slowly bring the temp up to 77-79 degrees. That's what I hate about being rushed, lol. You just can't quite set the temp right from the start. It takes a little time to get it tweaked in. Once it's set, the tank is there to stay.

Also, is the Methelene Blue a one-time dosing, or do you dose it daily?

Edit:
I just read that fry do not take to Methylene Blue too well, and to keep the eggs in Methylene Blue for 24 hours, then place back into fresh clean water. So tonight I made the switch, as I had just enough distilled water to do 1 more tankfull of 50/50. I also added 1ml HP 3% per 1G as well. So now the eggs are in fresh 50/50 water with the addition of Blackwater Extract. Out of all the eggs, I only see 3 white eggs, all the rest are looking very well. :)

Update....

Was getting depressed that most of my fry didn't make it again....

Until today, lol. Out of nowhere, I now have at least 50 fry swimming around the tank, and more coming out every day, lol. This is really exciting. If I get a lot of survivors, my next attempt will be with 75% distilled and 25% tap, instead of the 50/50. I don't have a TDS meter, so I still don't know the true hardness of my water is. Yet anyways. lol.

Let's see how many make it this time. I'm having a h*** of a lot better results this time around.

Back
Top Bottom