Good but cheep food for fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my molly/guppy fry have been getting fish flakes and algae wafers I thin I need to pick diff diet next time because so far since my water change yesterday I have lost 5 fry... That or filter intake needs a sponge despite net on outside... They have been in there after born for 2 going on 3 weeks so far all levels from API water test kit look good

Hikari First Bites(powder) is a great food especially made for fry. It has everything the fry need. It can be feed for the first 4wks and then use the food you are currently using. I doubt it was the food that killed the fry, water temp and good water quality are essential for fry. It's vital to match the water temp as best as you can when doing your change. Slightly warmer is better then slightly colder....

Tried and true live, fresh hatched baby brine shrimp win hands down all the time everytime if the fish are livebearers. Decapsulated bbs work almost as well. Brineshrimpdirect.com is all you need to know.

And it's rare for all fry to survive in most cases. There are usually a few that don't make it, so it may not be anything you did that caused this.
Live foods, while not the cheapest, are the best for fry. Microworms are great, having the fats fry need to grow well. Cultures can be bought for around five bucks, usually from other hobbyists, and can be kept going almost indefinitely. They need oatmeal as a substrate and baker's yeast to eat, neither of which costs much.
You can also grind good quality fish flakes or pellets in a coffee mill to get a consistency fry can eat easily. A food with a high level of spirulina would be good, as they are omivores and algae like spirulina has a lot of the nutrients they need too.

Back
Top Bottom