Good Golly Miss Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjohn87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I began cleaning my tank yesterday and I found a single Molly fry. Now, I thought my Black Molly was preggo when I purchased her a few weeks ago, but I was never sure. I went about my business for a few hours and noticed that there were now four small fry swimming in my tank. Now I have a few questions.

First, these little guys are about 1/4 inch (6mm) long right now. Can anyone tell me how old they may be. I last changed my water about two weeks ago and I didn't see any little ones at that time, and I can't think that they could pop out that big. Any advice would be appreciated.

Second, I have a 10 gallon tank. Besides the little guys I have two female Mollies a male Swordtail and a small Bristle Nose Pleco. Can anyone advise me on how big the little ones need to be before I can consider them safe from being eaten?

Third, I am planning on upgrading to a 29 gallon (109 L) tank. What is the best way to get that tank started without having two tanks running at the same time? My thought was to siphon the water from my 10 to my 29 and then add enough new water to get the filter running. Then in time, add more water to fill it. Thoughts ideas?

Thanks for all advice!

-Jeff

Congratulations. Transferring the water will not help cycle your new tank fast enough. What I would do is use the old filter on the new tank along with the new filter. Also transfer over your substrate and ornaments. Your substrate and filter hold the most bacteria.

If they are about 1/4" right now I would guess them to be 2 weeks to a month old. Once they are that size they should be ok with your current stock providing there are some hiding places for them.

Welcome to AA!
I agree with Zagz. Just make sure not to turn the filter on or put the ornaments and gravel in the new tank before you dechlorinate the tap water. The chlorine/chloramine would kill the beneficial bacteria.

So will it be safe to put my fish in the new tank right away or will I need to wait a while?

Thanks for the replys.

They can be put in right away if the parameters of the tap water are close to the tank water and the water is dechlorinated. You should probably put the filter and ornaments in before the fish though.

If you add your substrate, ornaments and filter, and dechlorinator, you should be fine adding the fish. I would recommend keeping an eye on your parameters to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom