Good line breeding guppy setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bm5424

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im planning on trying to line breed guppies of my own strain. My set up will be a bare bottom 5 gallon to breed the fish in then use my 10 gallon to hold the females and my 20 gallon to hold the males. I will put a pair in the 5 and let them give birth. Then i will remove the parents and let the fry grow up until I can sex them. Any unwanted fish that are small or not of the correct colour I will cull the weak or sell them to my Lfs. I will keep breeding the top fry that look healthy and like the parents. Is this a good setup.

I like it and think it will be cool!! Make sure you got good guppys and update ! :)

The way i do it is just buy a trio of Show quality fish, put the one male and 2 or 3 females in a ten, then when the fry are big enough to be caught, take the fry out and put them in a 5.5 gal to grow out. You need to feed them alot and change the water every other day. Then when they get bigger take out the females @ about 4-5 weeks and put them back in the ten. Then I cull (put them in a community tank) the small tailed males and grow out the biggest ones in the 5.5 Only put the big tailed or really pretty males back in your ten and you should have a decent setup. This way you can run a line with just 3 tanks. Other way you will need 5 tanks per line, and it gets to be too much of a hastle.

Back
Top Bottom