Got Fry!!!.....Now What???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyfishfan1966

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank is a well filtered 40 gal
Had a pair of geophagus make babies.
The tank is an easy going community of (3)-4" clown loaches, 6" pleco, 5"angelicous cat.
I have plastic egg crate from drop ceiling as a double divider. Dead space in middle so fry might hang there.
Finance prevents an immediate large tank purchase.
I anticipated buying a 75 or 90 gal with overflow and wet dry.
Gonna move community and geophagus to 90 after cycle. That puts me 5-12 weeks down the road from today.
Current filter set up is BioWheel 150 and 300, medium fluidized sand filter with sponge as pre-filter and small power head for circulation. Yes I like filters!

What would be some suggestions to try to preserve fry?
Set up 10 gal, move small BioWheel 150, small heater, light etc?

Thanks in advance for help.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390342740.801899.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390342755.406029.jpg

you might try putting some plants in the dead space so the fry feel more comfortable/safe being there and may be more likely to use it.

you might try putting some plants in the dead space so the fry feel more comfortable/safe being there and may be more likely to use it.

I agree. That's actually what I did with my tank recently to increase fry survival rate.

Are your fry still alive? I know this topic is a bit old...

Yes almost all fry are still alive.
They are getting close to 1/2" there are about 50.
I moves Pictus cat and loaches to a temp 10gal.
In the long process of setting up a 180gal tank
I figure another week or so to get it set up and filled then a few weeks to cycle.
I've started filter for 180.

Idk how big they are but you might consider getting a special tank for babies or something :)

Back
Top Bottom