Got new blue rams saturday, eggs today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicnet

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last Saturday, 4 days ago, I converted my multi tank over to a blue ram tank and got a pair of blue rams. I was super stoked and hoping to breed them and everything was awesome! I thought in the future I would be lucky if I could manage to get then to lay eggs.

Long story short, I just realized they laid eggs! I'm super stoked! But also a little concerned. I mean wow, I wasn't expected babies this soon! (lol okay that sounded funny) but the only thing I've ever breed was guppies and ghost shrimp. I've never dealt with eggs! So I'm a little concerned about what to expect.

I know they often can eat their first few batches, so I'm prepared for that. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the tank mates we added yesterday though. We put in 3 guppies in a hope to relax them and coax them out a bit (they weren't really active the first day or so, and I had always heard fish above would make them feel safer, and it seemed to work) & 1 Otto. (It was a survivor from my brothers tank). Do you think these guys will mess with the eggs?

I've been giving them the occasional frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp, as well as micro pellets. I'm not sure if I'll need a different diet for the fry. Suggestions?

What should the water temperature be at?

The tank should be fully cycled. I did a water change yesterday or the day before and things were great. I'll have to check what it is at tomorrow, since I did have a few feeder ghost shrimp die as I expected (I love those guys! & the price can't be beat either!)

But okay, now that I've rambled on, I would really appreciate any input on helping these fry live a successful life! Thanks for any advice!!

image-2443441470.jpg

image-4098057508.jpg

I feel so dumb... I was taking these pictures because the females colors were getting so much more vibrant, and didn't even realize the eggs were in it until after the fact! But yay!!

Thats great!! Good luck. I want to see how yours do, mine layed eggs twice but eat them both times. So i moved them to their own tank. Show us more pics when you can

Congratulations!

Right now, I wouldn't change anything - you are obviously providing the Rams with a happy environment.

You are correct in that it may take them a few times to understand what needs to be done, especially young fish - but they will spawn again!

I really can't answer your question on guppies and eating eggs as I've never kept guppies. What I will say is that Rams are Cichlids and your Rams will protect their eggs.

What size is the tank?

You could leave the guppies in, let the fish spawn and then observe what happens. Then make changes based on your observations and your own unique situation - every set up is different.

Rams are a popular fish, and for good reason, so I'm sure someone will tally up with some additional information for you.

Good job!!!

Congratulations!! I would love to have Blue rams one day. Pls let us know how it goes! :)

i want some i herd they are fun to watch. i also want to try pigmy sunfish

I would leave the guppies. I have read that they tend to be better parents if there is something they feel they have to protect their eggs and fry from. If there is no threat they will likely eat them faster

Congratulations! Right now, I wouldn't change anything - you are obviously providing the Rams with a happy environment. You are correct in that it may take them a few times to understand what needs to be done, especially young fish - but they will spawn again! I really can't answer your question on guppies and eating eggs as I've never kept guppies. What I will say is that Rams are Cichlids and your Rams will protect their eggs. What size is the tank? You could leave the guppies in, let the fish spawn and then observe what happens. Then make changes based on your observations and your own unique situation - every set up is different. Rams are a popular fish, and for good reason, so I'm sure someone will tally up with some additional information for you. Good job!!!

Thanks for the info! & it's a 20 gallon tank.

I would leave the guppies. I have read that they tend to be better parents if there is something they feel they have to protect their eggs and fry from. If there is no threat they will likely eat them faster

That makes sense! I'll keep them in. =)

Thats great!! Good luck. I want to see how yours do, mine layed eggs twice but eat them both times. So i moved them to their own tank. Show us more pics when you can

I was worried there weren't going to be any eggs this morning! But thankfully there still were. So they survived the first day at least!

Well I'm feeling bummed. In a manner of a few minutes, just posting to now, I went from about 160 eggs to now about 16. =(

I'm not sure if those are left behind intentionally or not, but here's some pictures of all the eggs and none.

image-4242161670.jpg

image-3220991235.jpg

Also I think worth noting, the ones left behind are clear/white. The initial bunch of eggs looked all yellow/orange. Could these be fertilized and all the others were not? Or am I looking into it took much? The fish don't really seem to be over there anymore so I'm not sure if they're fanning them or anything anyway.

I cannot get a dang good picture of them both staying still right now, but mom and dad both seem to be doing well since their murder of their children ha ha ha.

Thanks for all the help and advice and compliments! Maybe next time they will be more successful! ;)

image-1246890318.jpg

6 days after their last unsuccessful babies, they're laying eggs again! I just came home and they are actively laying them! I got some cool pictures and video too! (While being as sneaky and completely unknown as possible)

image-1665162539.jpg

Yey!!!! Good luck :)

Thanks! Yay!!

But now my lights just turned off on their timer... Should I turn them on since they've only laid a fraction of them compared to last time? Or just keep them on the timer and trust that they know what they're doing? & let them continue in the dark??

Are they by themselves on the tank? I would just leave it off. But thats just me

Are they by themselves on the tank? I would just leave it off. But thats just me

3 guppies who have absolutely no interest in them and an Otto. I'm not worried about the actual egg safety, just if they will keep laying. But yeah, I think I'll leave it off. Last time I didn't mess with it (since I didn't know it was happening) & they laid them just fine. (You know, it just didn't last more than a day lol)

Thanks for the fast response and input! Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom