Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gourami Breeding

Hello everyone

I've read up on it a bit on the Internet but I would like to get some insight/advice from someone who has bred gourami's before

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 05-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind(s) do you intend to breed? I've done dwarfs, Giants, Blues, Golds, Opalines, Moonlights, Pearls, Honeys and most of the paradise fishes. Maybe I can help

Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #3

I've got dwarf gourami's

Old 05-14-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you like to know?
For starters, are you sure you have a male and female? If both your fish are very colorful, they are 2 males. Females are very bland in color and not often available for sale at most chain stores and some pet shops.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
What kind(s) do you intend to breed? I've done dwarfs, Giants, Blues, Golds, Opalines, Moonlights, Pearls, Honeys and most of the paradise fishes. Maybe I can help

Hahaha Andy is there a group of fish you haven't bred?
Old 05-14-2015, 02:40 AM   #6

I only have two males ATM I'm just finding out the facts first before I rush out and get a female there is a store here that sells females

Old 05-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfinn View Post
Hahaha Andy is there a group of fish you haven't bred?
Yes,actually. I never really got into African Cichlids much besides Kribs and Brichardis. Mbunas and other Tang. cichlids were not being done when I was being taught and then were being done by my buddy while I was amassing large volumes of Angels in the 1980s. But pretty much most fish available before 1975, I've bred. It helps when you are breeding fish for a store. As you may know, all the fish for sale in my Mentor's pet store were bred in the back of the store or in our houses. That makes for quite a long list of fish. What other kid has 20+ tanks of fish in their small bedroom? I actually slept underneath a rack of tanks.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelectualFish View Post
I only have two males ATM I'm just finding out the facts first before I rush out and get a female there is a store here that sells females

Great, I suggest you get females that are slightly smaller than your males and are already showing signs of being plump with eggs. It makes the process so much easier.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Yes,actually. I never really got into African Cichlids much besides Kribs and Brichardis. Mbunas and other Tang. cichlids were not being done when I was being taught and then were being done by my buddy while I was amassing large volumes of Angels in the 1980s. But pretty much most fish available before 1975, I've bred. It helps when you are breeding fish for a store. As you may know, all the fish for sale in my Mentor's pet store were bred in the back of the store or in our houses. That makes for quite a long list of fish. What other kid has 20+ tanks of fish in their small bedroom? I actually slept underneath a rack of tanks.

Woah this is all too much to handle I would love to be able to do this for a living. I'm loving the chance to breed killis at the moment so much colour and character.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfinn View Post
Woah this is all too much to handle I would love to be able to do this for a living. I'm loving the chance to breed killis at the moment so much colour and character.
Not wanting to hijack this Gourami thread but just keep in mind, many Killies are annuals so you only get 1 to 2 years out of them. Do your research before diving in.

Now, back to the Dwarf Gourami

Tags
breed, breeding, gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com