Gourami cross breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a new thirty, and added a paradise blue gourami (male) dwarf gourami (male) a gold gourami (female) and a powder blue gourami (female)

It seems the males give the females a lot of attention. Especially the paradise and the gold. Is it possible for these fish to crossbreed? This is my first go with Gouramis.

No one is getting attacked, they all have their established area of the tank, and get along pretty well, I just notice the paradise follows around the gold quite a bit.

I don't think so. Just a warning that stock is not going to work together long term.

Or lets say if I kept the paradise who would have to go? Tards at the LFS said they'd be fine together.

They will all fight? Like I should only keep one? Or would the paradise and the dwarf get along?

Well I really want the paradise. Should I bail on the other 3? Is it a matter if aggression? Because I think the gold and the paradise would match out? Or no ?

I cant say for the dwarf but for the larger three 30g isn't enough space, they tend to get aggressive with age and need their space. I have a blue and gold that fight and they are in a 55. So yes I would remove at least two of the larger ones

I know the Paradise will be right in between the other three size wise. Sounds like I should get rid if the Gold, the biggest. Dwarf, Powder Blue or Neither? They are the only fish in the tank right now, and it is heavily decorated. Lots of plants, logs, caves, and shelves.

Also I want to make sure your not confusing the blue (which is the same genotype as the gold) and the powder blue, which is about the same size as the dwarf.

Well as I said, I want to keep the paradise. So I think I'll ditch the other three. Find some other tank mates. They had them in a tank with Rams. I think I'll do that.

I'm very new to tropical/community tanks. I've read up on a lot of fish, but the Gouramis were straight impulsive.

Thanks all.

Do any of you have experience with the paradise gourami, specifically? I just read on Wikipedia that having a larger less aggressive fish, like a gold gourami will decrease it's aggressiveness. It also says that the paradise fish will try to court other gourami females.
It was kinda contradictory because it also said it is more aggressive than the 3 spotted gourami's, but that a larger fish in the tank will make it more timid.

I'm going to do this:
Keep them all, I just checked on them, it's the middle of the night, and they are all hanging out together. I think it could be a good behavioral study of these fish, but if it becomes a problem I'll definitely move some fish around, I definitely have the space with two empty tanks. That I have no plan on stocking anytime soon.

I had my paradise fish for about a year. I kept him with dwarfs, gold, opaline, and 3 spots. He was doing great for about 9 months. Then he started attacking my angels, my gourami's, even my cories. The only thing he was okay with really was my speedy danios.

Back
Top Bottom