Guess Whose Eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all. Guess whose eggs these are. No hints :) If you know me you may know what fish I have. Sorry for the crappy pics. The eggs are currently in a 64 oz. Gatorade bottle and should hatch out sometime tomorrow. I only see one bad egg out of the bunch...looks like 99% fertility! The black stripe of the egg is the spine of the fish.

Attachments

• Picture 075.jpg
    Picture 075.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 59
Guess Whose WIGGLERS!

Evidently I didn't figure something out correctly in my head. Either that or I have some super fish LOL. The eggs hatched already. It took 48 hours at 84 degrees.

Here's some new pics of the wigglers. I hope you enjoy! Videos are uploading and coming soon!

Mass of at least 30 wigglers just to the right of the heater in the first pic. They are on the bottom of the container. The other pics may show a tail on the wigglers.

Attachments

• Picture 076.jpg
    Picture 076.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture 078.jpg
    Picture 078.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 74
you haven't told us what they are yet. Are they angels? Not sure if you have angels or not

I do have angels. Maybe I'll just wait to tell you :) or better yet, maybe I can update and have the pics SHOW you!

Here's a link to the first video: YouTube - Wigglers Sorry for the annoying high pitch sound.

Here's the second video link:

Last edited:
Cool, maybe I should start posting videos as well, my camera does have a video feature. I love baby fish, I've got a batch of angelfish wigglers right now as well, I've also got a batch that is a few weeks old.

003_2.jpg

Most of the wigglers, about 20 or so fell off onto the bottom

ntitled2_1.jpg

closeup bottom of the tube

ntitled1_2.jpg

top of the tube

The above shots were taken today, these were taken several days ago, and are of my older group

004_2.jpg

01.jpg
progress.gif
http://www.fantasyreef.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=57018

Those of you that guess GBR's are correct!

However, last night I did add some discus fry to the same jug. I don't expect them to amount to anything but if they do that's great. From what I've heard, discus fry are extremely hard to raise artificially and the wigglers should be left with the parents initially to survive. Some say you can remove once they are eating BBS and others say to wait 2-3 weeks.

There's only about 10-20 discus eggs in the jug and the reason I put them in there was because they were surely going to die in the community tank. I kept watching the wigglers fly all over the tank and the parents would try to gobble them up and spit them back onto the tube only to have them fly off again. It was a losing battle and it sucked to watch :( With that in mind, I decided to see what would happen if I could get them to the free swimming stage.

My pair lays every Wednesday so I think if I remove them and put them into their own tank I should have eggs next Wednesday. By that time I MAY be able to put the wigglers back in on the parents, but I'm not sure if this will works since the eggs they will lay next Wednesday won't be wigglers until Thursday night or Friday morning. Once those turn to wigglers I have no doubt that they'll accept their old fry.

Well, Darn, Brian...I am sorry it took me so long to find this thread...had a busy week. I would have guessed GBRs right off of the bat. Remember to keep me in mind for my 29g tank...;) Congrats!! They are just too cute!!

Well, I got home from work last night and checked on the fry. A good majority of them are still alive. It looked as though only a few didn't make it. I can easily tell the difference between the discus and GBR wigglers. The dicus are more of a brown and the rams are more of an orange at the same stage in development, but the egg sacs are now absent in the GBR wigglers. I looked into my 29g tank and sure enough, I had a second pair lay for me on the piece of slate I put in there on Wednesday (for them to spawn on). This spawn was much larger than the last, probably 250-300 eggs. I removed the slate and put it into the same container as the wigglers.

Today at noon (1 hour ago) I noticed the first GBR free swimmers. I had one come up to the surface of the water to greet me, then another, then another. There are three that like to stick to the top. I cut the airstone and more of them showed free swimming activity within minutes. Most of them are getting ready to make the journey to the top of the container. I am thinking about purchasing a small 2.5g tank to put the free swimmers in. From there they will most likely go to a 10g tank. The process will basically be this: All eggs are hatched out in 1/2-1g containers. Once they turn free swimming I'll move them to a ~2.5g tank and keep them there for 10-14 days. Once they are a little larger I'll move them into a 10g or split them up into multiple 10g tanks depending on the spawn size. After that they'll go into a 29g most likely.

That's the plan anyway. Got to get to the next step first. I'm not really sure if I'll have room for all of the fry to grow out. I was seriously considering getting rid most of my angels, discus, Endlers, and possibly some shrimp in order to concentrate on the ram breeding. After all, it's what peaked my interest (again) and got me back into the hobby. That 100g sure would come in handy for the growouts LOL. Plus, I'd most likely have over $1000 after selling off the fish and equipment that I won't need, not to mention the money I'd be saving on the food!

I wanted to give an update since it's been a few days. All of the discus fry are dead (as exected since there was no parents to feed off of) and the parents laid again this morning (after all, it IS Wednesday LOL). I still have 75+ GBR free-swimmers in the tank that are looking good. They are being fed Hikari Fry Bites (since Monday). I also fed some frozen cyclops that I thawed but I think they were too large, polluted the water, and caused the deaths of some of the wigglers. I changed out all of the water each day for the past 3 days but today I skipped since I pus some Java moss into the container hoping it'd be a source of infusoria and would also soak up pollutants. The second batch of GBR eggs looked promising but I think they mainly all destroyed due to my overfeeding and I see only a couple of wigglers, though those have been removed into a separate container. The female from the first batch of GBR eggs laid more eggs tonight on the piece of slate that I put back into the tank from the first spawn. I'm expecting near 100% fertility from those and will be moving them to their own container shortly. Looks like I'm going to be overrun with GBR fry! That's the plan anyway :)

Looks like I'm going to be overrun with GBR fry! That's the plan anyway :)

Well, like a bunch of us said before, we'll gladly take them off of your hands! :) Sounds like you got a busy pair of GBRs. Sorry to hear about the angles though. Keep us updated!

Well, like a bunch of us said before, we'll gladly take them off of your hands! :) Sounds like you got a busy pair of GBRs. Sorry to hear about the angles though. Keep us updated!

Initially I planned on selling one of the three pairs of rams but I think I'm going to keep them all, especially the ones that are giving me 100% fertility! Kinda hard to sell a working pair like that when they are young and spawn sizes are only going to increase. I'm sure the other pairs will get it down very soon.

wow. your so lucky i wish i had the experience you have. i finally found my first free swimming convicts today and their so worthlesss and easy. i wish i could breed Fish like those guessed above.

I'd suggest starting with angelfish if you want to get your foot in the door. They are easy to keep and fairly easy to breed. The only hard-ish part is raising the fry...which is actually fairly easy assuming you have BBS and a tank for them

Back
Top Bottom