Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny32561

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hola Amigos!:cool:

I think my female guppy is pregnant after 1-2 months of being alive! Is this possible I thought they couldn't reproduce as early as this! She is in a 10 gallon with 4 males i am in the process of getting some more female guppies. A week ago the males didn't even notice her but now they are going crazy! she has a mini dark spot near where the gravid spot should be should I add a divider to put males on one side and future females on the other side? I will put some pictures later.

Water Params
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 7
Nitrite 0

How can your nitrates be at 0? Unless its the only fish in a big tank and you do water changes a ton? I don't think thats accurate...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

The usual ratio for live bearers is usually 3 females for a male to not stress out the female.

Anyways, it makes sense you should have at least a little nitrate.

I had an incomplete cycle at first so for the first week I did wc every other day

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

10-25% so not too much but enough to get bad stuff out

Lol I know your still a little suspicious???

I believe that its what you think is going on. I don't have alternative suggestions, but i do think its weird that you have 0 of everything. That would make it seem like you just started the tank a few hours before you took the readings, because if it was cycling it would either have ammonia or nitrite, depending on how far along it was.

My 10g tank is 3 months old and I have 4 adult guppies, 4 pygmy corys and about 15 two day old fry in there.
Just did a test (doing PWC tomorrow) and my params were:
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate
0 ammonia
Ph 7.4
GH 5
KH 4
Its a planted tank (no C02).
And yes I shake that nitrate #2 bottle like crazy.
So its possible!

I might be missing something here, very possible.

But how the heck can nitrates be at 0? With fish in there it shouldn't ever be at 0...

I guess plants could make sense

I wouldn't complain either ??

It could make sense, but it doesn't seem right. Is it even possible to achieve perfect balance between bio load and plants that take care of nitrate? If everything is 0, stop doing wc.

Else, what are your plants nutrients?

I can take a picture if you want I have a ton of hornwort and Java moss in there gonna get some more too ill give a pic when I return from my trip as I'm in another country

The usual ratio for live bearers is usually 3 females for a male to not stress out the female.

This goes for most common known livebearers but not all of them. I'm keeping and breeding several kinds of livebearers for over 40 years by now. There are lots of livebearers which can be kept on a ratio of 1:1.

Back
Top Bottom