Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Austin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 81
Guppies and breeding

I have had my guppies in my 29 gallon for a couple months with my gouramis tiger barbs and 2 silver dollars. They are get along very well. Actually better than I thought. The person who gave me my guppies told he they breed every month or so. I have kept an eye on my female and just nothing. Why isn't she breeding with the others?
__________________

__________________
Austin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
How many male/females do you have???
__________________

__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Austin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 81
8 males 2 females
__________________
Austin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
spiketooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Okinawa Japan
Posts: 950
You should have two females to every male. The amount of stress that the males would put on her if she was prego would kill her
__________________
spiketooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketooth View Post
You should have two females to every male. The amount of stress that the males would put on her if she was prego would kill her
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
spiketooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Okinawa Japan
Posts: 950
from personal experience be ready for a lot of frys when she does get pregnant, last time my female gave birth, she had about 50 frys over a week span. only lost 3. needless to say i gave a lot of them away. they can give birth to 10-100 frys and hold male sperm for like 6 months or something like that
__________________
spiketooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketooth View Post
from personal experience be ready for a lot of frys when she does get pregnant, last time my female gave birth, she had about 50 frys over a week span. only lost 3. needless to say i gave a lot of them away. they can give birth to 10-100 frys and hold male sperm for like 6 months or something like that
I doubt too many fry will survive with the other tank mates in there...
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,818
Your Guppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin8 View Post
I have had my guppies in my 29 gallon for a couple months with my gouramis tiger barbs and 2 silver dollars. They are get along very well. Actually better than I thought. The person who gave me my guppies told he they breed every month or so. I have kept an eye on my female and just nothing. Why isn't she breeding with the others?
Hello Aus...

Your Guppy's chances of breeding successfully aren't good with aggressive fish like Barbs in the tank. Barbs are "fin nippers" and will make a target of the male Guppy's tale. Any fish, with a large mouth will easily eat any Guppy fry that might be born. Guppies are best kept in "species" tanks or with very peaceful fish like Corydoras "the little cats".

I've kept Fancy Guppies in large, planted tanks for a few years and the adult fish may survive with larger, more aggressive fish, but they thrive in large, planted tanks and in large numbers of their own kind.

Just my experience with these fish. You're the tank keeper.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Austin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 81
Wow that's alot! My cousin ( who I got the guppies from) has had success breeding and says they are fun to raise and watch grow
__________________
Austin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
spiketooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Okinawa Japan
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I doubt too many fry will survive with the other tank mates in there...
True, but it can happen.
__________________

__________________
spiketooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, guppie, guppies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.