Guppies Being Bums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PizzaBoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have six guppies in a 3 gallon tank, two are very amazing males and the rest are female. About two are very pregnant but I don't have a heater! My room that the fish are in is fairly warm and the water temp is 66-70 degrees. The guppies have been prego for a while now, is this due to water temp?

Ps: I'm have just ordered a heater never the less, but I would like some closure on the issue. ;) )

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

When you say a while, how long? Development of guppy fry normally is around 28 days. If its been longer, your females could be holding for a few reasons.

One reason, as you guessed, is your water. Aside from the temperature, a guppy won't drop (aka give birth) if she feels the water quality is not right. This can be due to several factors including your ammonia, pH, nitrite and nitrate levels.
Another possibility for the Long pregnancy is that your females don't feel like they can find an area in your tank where the fry can hide (dense planted areas) In a 3 gallon, this can be tough considering there is not a lot of room for the pregnant guppies to feel safe enough to drop. Fish have some emotions too! And if they feel stressed (not enough space) they won't drop as well.

The heater was a smart choice, and if possible, a larger tank will also make your fish a lot happier, and well as thrive.

Goodluck! :)

When I say a while I mean about 40-50+ days. I have been wondering how to check ph level for a while, do you need a special tool or is it a visual thing? Beside that I am looking into getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank for small breeding fish. If this dose happen I'll just use the 3 for containment and such. Thanks for the advice. :)

When I say a while I mean about 40-50+ days. I have been wondering how to check ph level for a while, do you need a special tool or is it a visual thing? Beside that I am looking into getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank for small breeding fish. If this dose happen I'll just use the 3 for containment and such. Thanks for the advice. :)

An API master test kit will have the supplies needed to test ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph. They go for around 20$ on amizon and are about 33 in a store. Definitely a necessary investment if you want to breed.

An API master test kit will have the supplies needed to test ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph. They go for around 20$ on amizon and are about 33 in a store. Definitely a necessary investment if you want to breed.

Thanks for the advice :)

that water is way too cool. get a heater in it! as a matter of fact, get them in a bigger tank. once they do have babies, it will be instantly overcrowded. They already like to eat their young if they dont have places to hide, and they cant have too many places to hide in a 3 gallon tank.

that water is way too cool. get a heater in it! as a matter of fact, get them in a bigger tank. once they do have babies, it will be instantly overcrowded. They already like to eat their young if they dont have places to hide, and they cant have too many places to hide in a 3 gallon tank.

Yup I just put the heater in a couple of days ago. The fish seem happier and I even made a rock cave for them to hide. For the record I am looking into buying a bigger tank just for breeding Live bearing fish. The temp of the tank is now at about 74-76 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom