Guppies breeding, all advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wild caught angels are typically larger than their over produced cousins we find at the lfs. I think 6-8" is pretty typical for lfs fish, that's including the fins. Just as an fyi, their wild cousins P. Altum can attain a size of 20", fins included. 8O :p

I have been breeding livebearers for a few months now, though not for food. I do have a "nursery tank", a 10 gallon with lots of fake plants, breeding grasses etc.
Along with guppies, I have had FANTASTIC luck with breeding swordtails. And if mama&daddy getting eaten are a concern, swords would be a good way to go as they are so much bigger that guppies.

I bought a pair of VERY pregnant swords at Walmart last Monday night at $2.77 each, and by Monday evening there were 52 babies between them!!! What a bang for my buck!

Good luck with your guppies

tracygh, you stole the words from my mouth. I've seen larger angels gulp up unsuspecting guppies before and I thought swordtails would be perfect!

well, my angels are small now, if they get big enough and start eating the adult guppies i will probably switch to platies, mollies, or swordtails. But right now the angels are juvenile and i don't think they could fit a guppy in their mouths yet! I bought another male today.. he was really pretty and i couldn't resist. :oops: so now ive got 2males 3females.

how can you tell their sex? All the readings I've seen say you don't know for sure until you see them spawn.

*edit* nevermind... was thinking of the angelfish, not the guppies... blonde moment!

I had some of the older color variations of angel fish.. a couple golds and a couple marbles.. they get a little bigger than the newer strains..

gave up on the guppy breeding idea after 2 got eaten and 2 died (i only have 2 females left)

sorry to hear that :( maybe you could just set up another small tank and move the babies over to the angels' tank for feeding.

its not worth it to me, and i don't have the time or money for that. I just thought it would be cool in a tank. But ill just give them bought food.

I dislike guppies strongly now. I have over 16 in one tank and a whole bunch in another. None of my other fish will even so much as look at the fry hardly. Sometimes my gourami and then my paroon shark (who i found disheartening things about) will chase them away. But hardly ever eat them... So I am over stocked in both fancy, feeder, and mixed of the two guppies in my tank. Again, I dislike guppies.

get some angel fish, they should take care of them for you.

I did, but the only ones I could aford were thumbnails (all the lfs in my town sell them at $5.99 each)... and then they died one, very pretty blue, 2 days after then the other, somewhat larger striped one 1 week later. I tihnk it'sbecuase of my ph level, the place tells me to keep it at 7.6-8.0 Which I know is high, and incapable of raising angels... I think....

Back
Top Bottom