guppies everywhere!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I decided to try something different and bought a few guppies. Well In 4 weeks I have had this one female pregnant twice and just dropped a second load of about 30 babies.
The first load are already 1/2 inch and fending for themselves. Todays batch are hiding in the Hornwort and having fun.
Question--what the heck do I do now? The tank is very soon to be over populated. Guppies anyone? :)

Since moving to Florida I haven't found a fish store yet willing to take my fish. Not true in the town I lived in Arizona- I must have given my LFS over 250 mollies and guppies...but they had a special tank to place them in. Most stores don't have a QT and are hesitant to place "strange" fish in with their sale stock. I can't blame them. I guess many members here have found an LFS that understands and is willing to take the fish off their hands. I ended up putting a post on Craigs list. I put a small price of 50 cents /$1.00 and sold them all. I was not in it to make any money but I wanted to keep my fish from becoming feeder food for someones salt tank or whatever. I figured that this way only people actually interested would take them as you can get feeder fish cheaper at the LFS. The LFS is certainly the way to go and I am hoping to come across one here that will do it but with the way these livebearers breed what can you do. Before I moved from AZ I gave away my females just so I wouldn't have to walk back into the LFS one more time with yet another bag of adoptees. lol.

Try a local aquarium club. There may be many members on there that will be willing to take your guppy fry. Try also to find a smaller lfs, the smaller mom & pop type lfs's are more likely to accept outside fish.

They breed so much that it can quickly become overwhelming. Good luch in finding a permanent solution.

I may be in the minority here but I let them grow enough to see the coloration and the ones I don't care for go into the angelfish/polypterus tank. Therefore, I have no population problems.

Do you have only guppies? My platys drop every month but my barbs always make short work of all the babies- I don't even see them. Unless I isolate my mothers in a breeding net I get none- when I do isolate I usually keep the first four or five born and then let mom give birth to the rest in the tank. I'm surprised none of your guppies eat their babies- even my platys will eat theirs given the chance.

sarah5775 said:
Do you have only guppies? My platys drop every month but my barbs always make short work of all the babies- I don't even see them. Unless I isolate my mothers in a breeding net I get none- when I do isolate I usually keep the first four or five born and then let mom give birth to the rest in the tank. I'm surprised none of your guppies eat their babies- even my platys will eat theirs given the chance.

Could have a well planted tank...in my guppy tank the babies immediately head for cover after being born and I doubt the adults get more than a few.

Back
Top Bottom