Guppies for food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I was wondering if breeding guppies would be a good idea for feeders. I know that they sell them at pet stores as feeders (they also sell a lot of other stupid things there as well) but I want to know if they would be at least a little nutritious for my yellow bellied slider turtle because I think that she'd enjoy chasing them. Any ideas/thoughts?

I wouldn't, it takes to long for them to mature. They mature faster in hotter temps with fry food, I do both and after 6 months they still arent big enough. With the cost of fry food vs the cost of minnows its easier to just buy minnows. I feed my eastern painted turtle 7 minnows a week and I spend $ 2.26 a month. I know they dont sell platys as feeders but my platy fry arn't a month old and are growing bigger and faster.

Guppies as Feeders

Hello Aqua...

Selling feeder guppies as food is really not good nutrition in general. I've seen them sold at the LFS, but the research I've done says there are a lot more nutritious commercial foods on the market.

I've purchased feeder guppies in the past, but have used them as new breeding stock for my fancy guppies. To me, breeding stock is a lot better use of them, than as food.

B

Back
Top Bottom