Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!

I just got a 20 Gal tank and it has cycled and now has 6 fish in it to start out with until I make it out to the bigger pet shop on Friday. I wanted to breed Guppies but my LFS didn't have any but they were getting a shipment in soon. So I have to wait and get some at the larger pet shop and I will have to wait until friday. I already have two guppies and they haven't bred in the time I've had them. Is it wrong to buy a 'pre-bred' female fancy guppy? Also would it be best to keep them in a net breeder, a breeding trap, or divide my tank with a tank divider? Would the fry be able to slip out of the holes in the net and get out into the main tank and be eatin:slurp:? In the tank I so far have Serpae Tetras and Cardinal tetras.

Also do any of you have experience with Guppies and Angel's together?

not wrong most of the ones you going to find at the lfs will be prego anyways. its not very wise to put them in a breeder net they can be stressful. unless you have a lot of room its best to let nature take its course. some will live if you have some hiding spots. plants help this a lot.

yes angels loves guppies lol.... i always keep guppies or a livebearer in my tanks with angels since they will hunt the fry.

Hi!

I just got a 20 Gal tank and it has cycled and now has 6 fish in it to start out with until I make it out to the bigger pet shop on Friday. I wanted to breed Guppies but my LFS didn't have any but they were getting a shipment in soon. So I have to wait and get some at the larger pet shop and I will have to wait until friday. I already have two guppies and they haven't bred in the time I've had them. Is it wrong to buy a 'pre-bred' female fancy guppy? Also would it be best to keep them in a net breeder, a breeding trap, or divide my tank with a tank divider? Would the fry be able to slip out of the holes in the net and get out into the main tank and be eatin:slurp:? In the tank I so far have Serpae Tetras and Cardinal tetras.

Also do any of you have experience with Guppies and Angel's together?

For those that professionally breed guppies or develop or manage their strains usually they use 5 gallon breeding tanks along with enough aquariums to manage the fry. They basically put sexes seperate in fry grow tanks when the female gives birth in her own seperate tank. The guppy's gestation period is around 28 days before she has young. However this period can be from 20 -45 days depending upon the female.

As someone else has mentioned on this thread breeding nets and traps are probably the worst thing for the female guppy that is expecting it affects the stress level of the fish and she would have a better delivery of fry if she was put into a seperate tank for maternity and then taken out to another tank after delivery for her to recover. There are studies done on females being lost after they have given birth.

Now to properly maintain a strain it is advised to have up to 10 aquariums for the growth period of the fry before the possibility of sale per each strain that is maintained.

There are societies and clubs that are based around guppies since you are interested in them I may advise you to join the IGEES IGEES - International Guppy Education and Exhibit Society that is run by several well known breeders and guppy enthusiasts .... Joining this club you may find more information about the issues of guppy breeding, genetics, etc.

As far as keeping other fish with guppies. It is true that the guppy is a great addition to non agressive community tanks. Serpae Tetras tend to be fin nippers generally speaking so if your guppies have big deltas it is likely that the Serpae Tetras will take a few bites out of their tails.

Keeping angelfish with guppies. I at one time in a community tank environment kept young angelfish with adult guppies. However young angelfish do eat baby guppies and the large angelfish well may take after even the parents, and the cardinal tetras.

A rule of thumb involving fish if they can fit it in their mouth it is more than likely they can eat it.

Watch out for catfish generally speaking if they are not from the genus Corydorus as some of the other genus are very predatory in nature and often hunt fish at night while they are sleeping ...

Good luck with your endeavours to breed guppies.

I would be getting juveys if I do get Angels. I have read a ton of books on guppy breeding but I just wanted to know from experience rather then books.

Back
Top Bottom