Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Guppy Breeding. Will they be eaten?

I really want to breed guppies. I am planning on getting about 14 guppies all together plus I already have two platies, a molly, a zebra danio, and an african dwarf frog. It's a 37 gallon that is pretty deep with about 12 fake plants covering the bottom. Will they get eaten?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Guppy Breeding

I want to breed guppies. If I put them in a breeder net for about 2 months for them to grow will they die? I just don't want them to get eaten, but I cannot afford another tank. Any suggestions?

Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

They will die
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe the frog, but prob not.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes. Everyone in your tank will eat fry. That does of not mean all of them will be eaten. The more heavily you plant the tank, the better chances your fry will have. If all you have is fake plants along the bottom, they prob won't stand much of a chance. If you really want a lot to survive, add some fast growing stem plants like anacharis, hornwort, pennywort, and/or wisteria, and floating some of it is a good idea. Adding lots of java moss is a good idea as well.

ADF's are social creatures that should be kept in groups with thier own kind. They also need shallower tanks so they can easily surface for air. Especially if there are not floating plants in the tank. I'm not sure the height of your tank, but it sounds like it's too high to have the frog in. Also, since they cannot see well, they are often outcompeted for food in a community setting. If you keep the frog in there, which I recommend you do not, you should target feed it with a turkey baster so you can make sure it gets enough to eat before the fish get it all. Feed only pellets formulated for frogs such as the HBH and Reptomin brands, as well as frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
come get me tang police!

ADFs have poor vision so they don't realy pose much of a threat, but all of the other adult fish in the tank do. I have my best results by feeding small amounts over the course of the day rather than one large feeding a day. Just be sure not to overfeed, you'll know you are if there's any uneaten food left in the tank.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket22
They will die
Now let's be optimistic here and give out fellow breeder some hope
Put lots of plants (real or fake) in the tank to give the fry places to hide, feed the other fish well (not too much though) and it will decrease the chances of them being eaten. What else do you have in the tank?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm just saying you don't have to put them in a fish tank.
I'm breeding guppies and when they give birth there going straight into a 80L bucket where I will be doing daily water changes.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have about 12 fake plants (searching for more), two platies, one Molly, one Danio and one tetra, and also an adf. What would be a good number of fake plants?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank?

Mollies get very large and create a lot of waste and need 29 gals or more. Danios are schoolers that should be in groups of about 6 or more, in a nice long tank since they are such active swimmers, a 20L or 29 gal is good for them. Different tetras require different tank sizes but all are schoolers and should not be kept solo. ADF's are social creatures that should be kept with their own kind. They also have a hard time competing for food in a community tank because they can't see very well. If you're keeping them with fish you need to hand/target feed them to assure they don't starve.

For the best luck with fry survival in a community tank, use lots of stem plants like anacharis, pennywort, hornwort, and/or wisteria. These plants will grow fast and provide lots of cover for the fry, as well as infusoria that they will eat during the early days. Float some stem plants as well, or us something with long roots like water lettuce. Lots of java moss and or guppy grass is helpful as well. Still, most will be eaten.

Tags
breed, breeding, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com