Guppy breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many guppies is too many for a 10 gallon? I've got an empty tank and looking for some fun :)

I think you could do one to two trios of guppies in that size tank. They are really easy to breed!

Fish and Small Tanks

How many guppies is too many for a 10 gallon? I've got an empty tank and looking for some fun :)

Hello Tank...

A 10 G might be okay for a temporary place for a female and a few fry, or possibly as a QT tank, but Fancy Guppies need a lot of swimming room and do best in large numbers of their own kind. The smallest tank I keep for my Guppies is a 45 G.

Keeping fish in such a small tank indefinitely, is like keeping your dog or cat in a bathroom. I'd find another use for the 10.

Just a thought.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Tank...

A 10 G might be okay for a temporary place for a female and a few fry, or possibly as a QT tank, but Fancy Guppies need a lot of swimming room and do best in large numbers of their own kind. The smallest tank I keep for my Guppies is a 45 G.

Keeping fish in such a small tank indefinitely, is like keeping your dog or cat in a bathroom. I'd find another use for the 10.

Just a thought.

B

Guppies are fine in a ten and mine love it. Mine have buddies and are constantly playing with each other. Theyll be moved to a bigger tank eventually but for now they are great.

Fish and Small Tanks

Hello e...

I never got the hang of keeping small tanks. Not enough room for mistakes in tank management, I guess. Had a couple of 30 Gs once, but like the larger tanks better. Much easier to maintain.

Anyway, attached is an old pic of a 55 G I have. The Guppies can swim for about 4 feet without having to turn around. Plus, they have about 200 playmates. Throw in large, weekly water changes and these little guys have a little slice of heaven.

Just a thought from an "old school" water keeper.

B

Omg! So many guppies lol. You must have so many babies. Do you have any black moscows?

Fancy Guppies

Omg! So many guppies lol. You must have so many babies. Do you have any black moscows?

Hello Sam...

Sorry, no. I'm not a breeder of specific "makes or models". Just have large tanks of whatever colors and tail shapes the fish can produce. I keep the tanks heavily planted and change out half the water weekly, so the Guppies have nearly pure water conditions. They love the water changes!

I have an odd 45 G "biotope" too, with upwards of 150 of the little guys in it and some Corydoras. See attached. The land plants take in the waste the fish produce and keep the water clean. The system makes large water changes unnecessary. Would like to set this system up on all my tanks. Just can't seem to set aside the time.

Above everything else, have fun with your tanks!

B

Wow . Lots of guppies! Haaha do you sell any of them of keep them. I'm not interested in buying, just curious lol!

Back
Top Bottom