Guppy breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to say it but most guppy pros dont use those things. They stress out the female too much. The best way to get fry is to have plants in the tank. Thats all. Its not complicated. Just add water and guppys will breed. Fry are big enough at one week to not be eaten. The reasom we seperate fry is to grow them out. Then seperate m/f at one month old and grow them to 3'-4 months then put color you want into main tank and sell off extras
Still no more babies. This was posted I think on the 21st

I hate to say it but most guppy pros dont use those things. They stress out the female too much. The best way to get fry is to have plants in the tank. Thats all. Its not complicated. Just add water and guppys will breed. Fry are big enough at one week to not be eaten. The reasom we seperate fry is to grow them out. Then seperate m/f at one month old and grow them to 3'-4 months then put color you want into main tank and sell off extras

I find this not true, actually its fine as long as the female is in there for a short time, such as one day or less. Just take her out right after she has them all

I find this not true, actually its fine as long as the female is in there for a short time, such as one day or less. Just take her out right after she has them all

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. I would say 24 hours at the max. That's what the LFS does and they are "pros".

She sure is taking her time..haha. I've had guppies in traps for 3+days, no issues. Just try and use the largest trap you can.....

I had 4 females. I got 2 more and they were preg also. I have 2 preg in a 10 gallon and 4 pregnant in a 20 gallon. The 29 gallon is where I found the babies. So it's a mystery finding out which one had them. All gravid spots are still dark and the bellies are big as well. It's seems like every time the weather gets bad (rain or storm) one of them drops a few. I'm guessing its the pressure change which causes it.

I had 4 females. I got 2 more and they were preg also. I have 2 preg in a 10 gallon and 4 pregnant in a 20 gallon. The 29 gallon is where I found the babies. So it's a mystery finding out which one had them. All gravid spots are still dark and the bellies are big as well. It's seems like every time the weather gets bad (rain or storm) one of them drops a few. I'm guessing its the pressure change which causes it.

I mean the 20 gallon is where I found the babies

What's the plan. Move the 2 pregnant females into the 20g and use the 10g for the fry???

I moved the 2 pregnant ones from 10 gallon to the 20g. When the babies get big enough I'm going to put them in the 20g. Right now there is 5 males in the 10 gallon.

image-3700770170.jpg

image-2728640916.jpg

image-3753744030.jpg
Guppy with 1 eye and is swimming in circles. I have a video but can't upload it on here. What should I do with it??

Never thought I might get deformed fry. Might have a look when I get home to see. Have i think 6 fry atm

Deformities are usually past down the blood line. Inbreeding is probably the biggest cause but occasionally it just happens. Try not to inbreed or let a fish with a deformity breed....

Ya inbreeding is not good. I love my fancy guppies and goldfish. But i know how weak they are compared to wild fish of the same species in the same environment. And it is the going trend in the guppy community of which i am a big part of that breeding traps do not work. But if you guys wanna give out bad advice and turn off newcomers to the hobby just like poorly knowlaged pet store people do , go right ahead i cant stop you. I have 50 newborn amnd 35 1 month old guppy fry from 4 hb females and they were all simply removef from my planted colony tank and put into ten gallon grow outs.

Ya inbreeding is not good. I love my fancy guppies and goldfish. But i know how weak they are compared to wild fish of the same species in the same environment. And it is the going trend in the guppy community of which i am a big part of that breeding traps do not work. But if you guys wanna give out bad advice and turn off newcomers to the hobby just like poorly knowlaged pet store people do , go right ahead i cant stop you. I have 50 newborn amnd 35 1 month old guppy fry from 4 hb females and they were all simply removef from my planted colony tank and put into ten gallon grow outs.
Can you clarify what you mean by giving out poor advice. Who is giving the poor advice and turning people off the hobby???

No one is going to turn me off the hobby just to let you know. It's what I like doing and I'm going to KEEP doing it. I am learning from the help of others and from the experience of watching it with my own eyes. The breeding trap is working great.

It is not a sure fact that inbreeding is the cause. i have bought pregos from the store who have had deformed little ones. It can be caused by a number off things. (ex.. stress. Big litters always have a chance of deformities.. first time litter.. premature labor.) It happens narurally as well... But if it seems healthy it shouldnt be much of a problem for the little one.. just keep an extra eye on him.. no pun intended.. just to make sure he doesnt get pucked on in the community

Back
Top Bottom